Author Topic: Gti Gearbox  (Read 1231 times)

Offline sidecarphil

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,186
Gti Gearbox
« on: 26 August 2010, 18:10 »
EEEEGH my gearbox has sh!t its self last week

i know have no reverse and a whining 2nd gear

there is no oil in the gearbox ....... DID WONDER WHY IT STOPPED LEAKING .......

SO my question is , what will fit it ???

i want some lower revs on the motorway as i do a lot of motorway miles so i think a mk3 box is best.

My car is a MK2 GTi 8v from 1989.

What numbers on the gearbox do i need to look out for ??

Thanks in advance Phil

Offline rubjonny

  • 10k hero
  • *
  • Posts: 16,349
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
Re: Gti Gearbox
« Reply #1 on: 27 August 2010, 09:33 »
MK2 1.8 8v or 16v box, or mk3 1.8-2.0 8v box.  if 1.8 16v mk2 or 2.0 8v mk3 you need to fit 16v mk2 friction disc.

http://www.scirocco.org/gears
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline weazgti

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 955
Re: Gti Gearbox
« Reply #2 on: 27 August 2010, 10:02 »
Arent mk3 gearboxes worse than mk2 ones though for reliability?
Mine had a noisy reverse due to a chipped tooth on the syncro apparently and i ve heard this is quite common.

Offline rubjonny

  • 10k hero
  • *
  • Posts: 16,349
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
Re: Gti Gearbox
« Reply #3 on: 27 August 2010, 10:35 »
no they're the same internaly in terms of strength, the problem is they had to lug around a lardy ass mk3 over the years. this is why mk1 boxes fail a little less than mk2 boxes, as they're lighter still
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline sidecarphil

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,186
Re: Gti Gearbox
« Reply #4 on: 27 August 2010, 14:25 »
Thnks guys

What is a good number on the gearbox to look out for ?? My mate has a few gearboxs but doesnt know which cars they csme from :? :? :? :? :?

Offline rubjonny

  • 10k hero
  • *
  • Posts: 16,349
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
Re: Gti Gearbox
« Reply #5 on: 31 August 2010, 10:28 »
tell us the codes and we'll tell you what they are ;)

oem codes for MK2 GTI are 9a, ACD and AUG, 16v is 2Y and AGB. MK3 GTI are AMC, DFQ, CHE
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.