Author Topic: Starter motor loose wire  (Read 2781 times)

Offline Mitching

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 488
Starter motor loose wire
« on: 25 August 2010, 21:12 »
Every so often I'll go to start up the car, dash lights on but the engine doesn't start up.
Turned out to be a loose wire going into the starter motor, it's the spade terminal on the top right of the motor (going from the motor, not from the battery)
So now whenever I go to drive and it doesn't start i'll have to pop the bonnet and re attatch the wire, whatever the weather  :angry:

Anyone know how I can secure this? New terminal possibly?

Cheers  :smiley:

Offline mattkh

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 554
Re: Starter motor loose wire
« Reply #1 on: 25 August 2010, 22:06 »
Hi
It is the wire that energizes the stater solenoid. It has to be the best connection on earth to give you 100% reliability when turning the engine over.
I have seen some which have been soldered. In my opinion that is most reliable method. Spade connectors expand with engine heat and can give a 'loose' connection causing intermittent 'turning over' problems.

Offline rubjonny

  • 10k hero
  • *
  • Posts: 16,349
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
Re: Starter motor loose wire
« Reply #2 on: 26 August 2010, 09:29 »
squeeze the terminals on the spade connector carefully with some pliers. go easy at first do it a bit at a time.  or crimp on a new spade connector
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline clipperjay

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,148
Re: Starter motor loose wire
« Reply #3 on: 26 August 2010, 10:15 »
Those terminals have proberly oxidised so get some light sand paper and rub over the male ones to get rid of any green oxidisation off the terminals and you could always crimp new spades over to do a proper job :wink:

Offline Ben Lessani

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,873
  • The poor mans MK2 Haynes author
Re: Starter motor loose wire
« Reply #4 on: 26 August 2010, 13:03 »
If you do need to re-crimp it, you'll need a fat crimp tool for 4/8awg wire ... or be a pikey like me and strike the crimp with a stake :laugh:

RS components sell big spades for the job - IIRC it is 8mm

Offline clipperjay

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,148
Re: Starter motor loose wire
« Reply #5 on: 26 August 2010, 15:00 »
If you do need to re-crimp it, you'll need a fat crimp tool for 4/8awg wire ... or be a pikey like me and strike the crimp with a stake :laugh:

RS components sell big spades for the job - IIRC it is 8mm
Ben what you could do with decent tools my friend!

I used my teeth in deperate situations  :grin:

Offline Bigdunc

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 344
Re: Starter motor loose wire
« Reply #6 on: 28 August 2010, 18:02 »
Solder the ends of the wires then put heat shrink over then crimp new conector on then warm heatshrink up, won't come lose after that if done properly :)