Author Topic: Turbo Technics setup?  (Read 7772 times)

Offline emery1990

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,196
Re: Turbo Technics setup?
« Reply #20 on: 28 August 2010, 13:03 »
I think its all pish when people think putting 4-1, exhaust and filters on and saying they have 180bhp, they may have but i doubt there torque figures are very high and drive like sh!t

Nope.  DannyP's dyno'ed at +170bhp with a 4-2-1 exhaust manifold and mine feels very similar with a similar set of tubes down the back.  Both pull like a train from the get go.

Digi 3.2 also has dual knock sensors etc, so it has excellent control over the ignition.

You think a few hours on a dyno is as good as the heaps of dev time that must have gone into the Digi 3.2 on the ABF?  Really?

FWIW I'd go for the ABF every time - less to go wrong and you'll have a whole load of learning the car to do with that much power.

Yer maybe loads of dev did go into the digi 3, but then how can a few hours on a dyno from megasquirt get it running more torques and bhp?

Just saying as quite a few people was saying not to go digi and just go megasquirt ? So megasquirt must be better if everyone who said to me about getting my fuelling sorted to go after market ecu.

Offline Chris-White

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,840
  • Manufactured in Germany. Ruined in Britain.
Re: Turbo Technics setup?
« Reply #21 on: 28 August 2010, 13:40 »
I think its all pish when people think putting 4-1, exhaust and filters on and saying they have 180bhp, they may have but i doubt there torque figures are very high and drive like sh!t

Nope.  DannyP's dyno'ed at +170bhp with a 4-2-1 exhaust manifold and mine feels very similar with a similar set of tubes down the back.  Both pull like a train from the get go.

Digi 3.2 also has dual knock sensors etc, so it has excellent control over the ignition.

You think a few hours on a dyno is as good as the heaps of dev time that must have gone into the Digi 3.2 on the ABF?  Really?

FWIW I'd go for the ABF every time - less to go wrong and you'll have a whole load of learning the car to do with that much power.

Yer maybe loads of dev did go into the digi 3, but then how can a few hours on a dyno from megasquirt get it running more torques and bhp?

Just saying as quite a few people was saying not to go digi and just go megasquirt ? So megasquirt must be better if everyone who said to me about getting my fuelling sorted to go after market ecu.

define ' a few' hours. Its all well and good making good power at full throttle, but what about the rest of the map and its driveability day to day? Its going to take more than a few hours to visit every load site on the fuel / ignition map to get a setup thats going to perform well under all conditions imo.
S4 Avant. Eibach springs. 18" Avus. RS4 Intercoolers. Viper Tuned. Goes Fast.

Offline emery1990

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,196
Re: Turbo Technics setup?
« Reply #22 on: 28 August 2010, 14:10 »
Had two quotes rtech said 3-4 but then said in another one 5-6, or person im getting it from does a road session then a tweak on the dyno, guess ill just have to find out when its all done how good the drive ability is, had one of his customers say that he's over the moon with it. He may do it all the time so its just easy for him to feel what the cars doing.

Offline Diamond Hell

  • Serious forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 7,992
  • Opinions я Us
Re: Turbo Technics setup?
« Reply #23 on: 28 August 2010, 21:36 »
Try an ABF on Digi 3.2 first.  £10 says the people raving about the MS were running K-Jet before.

Megasquirt will be ordered next month... and Toyota Silvertop 20v AE101 ITB's fitted with it in due course.

That doesn't sound cheap.

It does sound interesting though.  Are you putting knock on it, too?
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline Neo Badness

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,780
  • Feet are for pedals
Re: Turbo Technics setup?
« Reply #24 on: 29 August 2010, 19:32 »
I've listened/ read alot about Digi 3.2 vs K-jet vs standalone it and I reckon Digi is the best of all worlds for my application
It'll be a daily so can't pee fuel.
But it's nice to have the rage there if need be.
Unfortunately I don't know anyone with an ABF'd mk2 for a passenger ride so hopefully I'll have made the right choice. Hoping to keep up with my mates Mk2 VR, but that maybe optimistic... :grin:

You don't own a Mk2, you support it.

Offline emery1990

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,196
Re: Turbo Technics setup?
« Reply #25 on: 29 August 2010, 20:39 »
Wish i had gone the digi 3.2 route actually lol seems much more simpler! ohwell.

Youd have the vr out of bends etc person round my way with his 9a hed loose his mates vr for a bit but when 6 cylinders came him after about 80mph he'd start to catch up.!

Offline Neo Badness

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,780
  • Feet are for pedals
Re: Turbo Technics setup?
« Reply #26 on: 29 August 2010, 20:48 »


Youd have the vr out of bends etc person round my way with his 9a hed loose his mates vr for a bit but when 6 cylinders came him after about 80mph he'd start to catch up.!

 :grin: I've agreed to a Quarter mile at Crail when they're both done, he's gone all out cleaned bay, wide track etc. I, on the other hand, am going budget. ABF, 280mm discs/ narrow track. Think I'm going to get monstered :grin:

You don't own a Mk2, you support it.

Offline emery1990

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,196
Re: Turbo Technics setup?
« Reply #27 on: 30 August 2010, 10:43 »
If he got a cleaned out bay you don't stand a chance  :grin: you'll only be like 20bhp short of him though wouldn't ya? Presuming your gonna have about 170bhp, I reckon it'd be quite close!

Offline Neo Badness

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,780
  • Feet are for pedals
Re: Turbo Technics setup?
« Reply #28 on: 30 August 2010, 12:46 »
If he got a cleaned out bay you don't stand a chance  :grin: you'll only be like 20bhp short of him though wouldn't ya? Presuming your gonna have about 170bhp, I reckon it'd be quite close!

Should be interesting all the same, I hear what you're saying about the cleaned bay adding like 20bhp across the rev range :wink:

Going to invest in some decent tyres, maybe even take the toolboxes/ jack/ spare parts out of the boot. Sure he'd be gutted if I won though. He used to have a full Tdi setup but binned it for a VR when he got beaten by a mk2Vr. Would hate him to have to rip it out for an ABF :grin:

You don't own a Mk2, you support it.

Offline Diamond Hell

  • Serious forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 7,992
  • Opinions я Us
Re: Turbo Technics setup?
« Reply #29 on: 30 August 2010, 19:35 »
Lose as MUCH weight as possible - it's your best hope of not getting made a fool of.
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.