Author Topic: Turbo Technics setup?  (Read 7744 times)

Offline Neo Badness

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,780
  • Feet are for pedals
Turbo Technics setup?
« on: 25 August 2010, 00:18 »
An original turbo technics setup has become available, ie low comp engine block and cylinder head. Piggy back ecu manifolds and turbo + gubbins. All based on the KR engine which is what I have in mine at the mo.

 My dilemma is, do I go all out and buy this setup, fit it instead of the ABF I have sitting in the garage?

I reckon the ABF *should be less stress but turbo technics golfs aren't that common. They'll both make around 180bhp just in different ways.

Plus what would be a fair price to pay for a said setup? I was thinking in the region of 4 to 5bricks if it is in as good condition as vendor says.

Cheers folks :smiley:

You don't own a Mk2, you support it.

Offline X4MGS

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,564
  • VAG Parts SNOB!!!
Re: Turbo Technics setup?
« Reply #1 on: 25 August 2010, 00:26 »
I cant help with the techi info... :lipsrsealed:

But if its what you want..

Then pay what you think it's worth...

If its on the bay them no doubt some idiot will pay some stupid money for it...

High Quality Chrome & Black Enamel Golf GTI Keyring's.
For More Info Click To See;
My Thread On Here  Or My Ebay Store!

Offline fishnchipsx2

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 356
Re: Turbo Technics setup?
« Reply #2 on: 25 August 2010, 00:27 »
Buy it, and use parts from it to make a turbo ABF  :laugh:

Offline Mew

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,589
Re: Turbo Technics setup?
« Reply #3 on: 25 August 2010, 00:28 »
Can you be arsed with the hassle of it? I know i'd much rather put the ABF in...

Offline danny_p

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 4,644
Re: Turbo Technics setup?
« Reply #4 on: 25 August 2010, 01:50 »
for scene points go for the turbo technics.  but i wouldn't pay good money for a 2nd hand turbo converted motor.

id rather spens twice as much building it myself so it's a known quantity to me.  and i think you'd find the tt16v a bit of a disapointment as by current stanardars a 1980's garret T25 is a bit of a crap turbo.  it's small so it cant puff very hard and there an old desing so there very laggy compared to newer ones,   iirc they'll puff to around 200 bhp  but i bet you chould get a turbo from scrappy now that would spool up sooner and blow enough for 250 possobly 300 bhp 
all the VW's have gone bar 1.

Offline Neo Badness

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,780
  • Feet are for pedals
Re: Turbo Technics setup?
« Reply #5 on: 25 August 2010, 08:35 »
haha, yeah probably more hassle than it's worth. If I had a spare car to throw it in then it'd be great. But I've always fancied a ABF s/c :grin: But alas I lack the mechanical skills to make it reality.
For now at least.

Vendor said that it had been upgraded to a T28?

Think it'd be sweet but the microwave, cooker and washing machine have all decided to die within about an hour of each of other. So there goes the budget :angry:

Cheers for the replies though :smiley:

You don't own a Mk2, you support it.

Offline emery1990

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,196
Re: Turbo Technics setup?
« Reply #6 on: 25 August 2010, 17:10 »
s/c is where i wanna go too   :evil: pretty pointless i think spedning loads and getting a lilttle bit more than an abf, could spend some more and get the abf megasquirted to get 175bhp before any other mods !

Offline Wayne

  • Sir Postalot
  • *
  • Posts: 32,051
Re: Turbo Technics setup?
« Reply #7 on: 25 August 2010, 23:24 »
Abf is still the better choice.

Offline Neo Badness

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,780
  • Feet are for pedals
Re: Turbo Technics setup?
« Reply #8 on: 26 August 2010, 10:26 »
Abf is still the better choice.
I think i agree for a daily.

s/c is where i wanna go too   :evil: pretty pointless i think spedning loads and getting a lilttle bit more than an abf, could spend some more and get the abf megasquirted to get 175bhp before any other mods !

I understand that stock ABF have been R/r'd at more than 150bhp. As a general rule VW tended to underestimate the power made. Filter and exhaust on an otherwise stock engine have seen decent figures. Theres a guy on another forum who has this setup and got 179.8bhp on pretty reliable rollers. :smiley:

You don't own a Mk2, you support it.

Offline emery1990

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,196
Re: Turbo Technics setup?
« Reply #9 on: 26 August 2010, 16:25 »
The torque would be different on the ms, as with the abf's what ive seen from them, not that many but there torque figures always seem to be below 150lb but still have high bhp, ms will hopefully boost my torque up to around 160lb and put it up around 15lb across the whole rev range. in a race situation there about the same apparently, but the ms would be a much better driving in road situations by having torque everywhere rather than just right up at boiling point. If you could do your own mapping, which hopefully ill figure out if not then id be a lot out of pocket  :cry:, i think it'll be a very good mod seem as though you wanted the turbo aswellwhich would of given you better driveability ?
that does sound alot though, 30bhp from exhaust and filter?