Author Topic: Mk2 1.8 Driver and 1.8 GL differences?  (Read 7946 times)

Offline BMXJeff

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 24
Mk2 1.8 Driver and 1.8 GL differences?
« on: 24 August 2010, 21:19 »

What are the differences between the 1.8 Driver and the 1.8 GL? Is it just the trim?

I want to know if they use the same engines and can all the usual Driver mods (GTI cam, exhaust, weber carb, etc..) be done to the GL models.

Also, I keep seeing Golf GL 4+E.... What is the 4+E??? Been googling for ages and still none the wiser!

Thanks for your knowledge in advance   :)

Offline Haribo!

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,327
Re: Mk2 1.8 Driver and 1.8 GL differences?
« Reply #1 on: 24 August 2010, 21:26 »
engines are the same, and 4+E means 4 gears plus economy

Offline dannydubs

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 620
  • mk2 gti,mk3 wagon,mk5gti
Re: Mk2 1.8 Driver and 1.8 GL differences?
« Reply #2 on: 24 August 2010, 21:29 »
as above
 :smiley: ive got a gti cam 4 sale

.....the project.........

Offline BMXJeff

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 24
Re: Mk2 1.8 Driver and 1.8 GL differences?
« Reply #3 on: 24 August 2010, 21:46 »
engines are the same, and 4+E means 4 gears plus economy

Cheers Haribo! I hate 4 speed boxes but I guess the Eco gear means you don't have to sit on the redline on the motorway!

Anybody know if a GTI gearbox would bolt onto the 1.8 carb engines and whether they would like the gear ratios?

Offline BMXJeff

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 24
Re: Mk2 1.8 Driver and 1.8 GL differences?
« Reply #4 on: 24 August 2010, 21:56 »
as above
 :smiley: ive got a gti cam 4 sale

 :grin: Cheers dannydubs!

I haven't got a Mk2 yet but I might take you up on that when I have one in the pipeline (over next month or two fingers crossed). I had all the GTI cam, exhaust etc to do this when I had a 1.6 driver but some jackass drove up the back of my stationary car at 30mph = bye bye Mk2  :cry:

Been driving a dirty Laguna estate (oportune purchase) for almost a year now and I miss my dub. Would get a GTI but the insurance company/wallet doesn't like my age (24) combined with my 6 points. Anyway I have a thing for carbs!

Offline Haribo!

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,327
Re: Mk2 1.8 Driver and 1.8 GL differences?
« Reply #5 on: 24 August 2010, 22:21 »

Cheers Haribo! I hate 4 speed boxes but I guess the Eco gear means you don't have to sit on the redline on the motorway!

Anybody know if a GTI gearbox would bolt onto the 1.8 carb engines and whether they would like the gear ratios?


they fit, the block is the same alot of 1.6/1.8 carb and gti engine parts mix and match.

heres one for you, I had a 16v gti which had a 1.6 carb gearbox on it, it came with it, the car was much better when i put the right box on it.

Im not sure if its better or worse with a gti box on carb engine tho... might be :p

Offline X4MGS

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,564
  • VAG Parts SNOB!!!
Re: Mk2 1.8 Driver and 1.8 GL differences?
« Reply #6 on: 24 August 2010, 22:40 »
Arn't Drivers all 1.6??

High Quality Chrome & Black Enamel Golf GTI Keyring's.
For More Info Click To See;
My Thread On Here  Or My Ebay Store!

Offline Haribo!

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,327
Re: Mk2 1.8 Driver and 1.8 GL differences?
« Reply #7 on: 24 August 2010, 22:41 »
Arn't Drivers all 1.6??

Im pretty sure you can get 1.8 drivers.... im easily wrong tho

Offline BMXJeff

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 24
Re: Mk2 1.8 Driver and 1.8 GL differences?
« Reply #8 on: 24 August 2010, 23:16 »

Cheers Haribo! I hate 4 speed boxes but I guess the Eco gear means you don't have to sit on the redline on the motorway!

Anybody know if a GTI gearbox would bolt onto the 1.8 carb engines and whether they would like the gear ratios?


they fit, the block is the same alot of 1.6/1.8 carb and gti engine parts mix and match.

heres one for you, I had a 16v gti which had a 1.6 carb gearbox on it, it came with it, the car was much better when i put the right box on it.

Im not sure if its better or worse with a gti box on carb engine tho... might be :p


Only one way to find out! After a bit of googling it would seem that GTI boxes are closer ratio for acceleration and carb boxes are more cruisy with longer gears. So in theory the GTI box would make the carb engine more nippy, sounds too easy though right?

Found a great site on 020 boxes: http://www.brokevw.com/020ratios.html

Offline BMXJeff

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 24
Re: Mk2 1.8 Driver and 1.8 GL differences?
« Reply #9 on: 24 August 2010, 23:19 »
Arn't Drivers all 1.6??

All apart from the 1.8 Drivers!  :grin: They seem to be much harder to come by than the common as muck 1.6 though