Author Topic: What size wheels  (Read 2602 times)

Offline Pearce69

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 121
What size wheels
« on: 24 August 2010, 20:22 »
Hey all

Iv used the search button but cant seem to find anything. What im wanting to know is what the biggest size wheels i can fit on my gti and how wide? Weather i will need spacers or not and what tyre size to have? Im rather like the bbs split rims but they seem rather exspensive. What other wheels like bbs are there? Also what offset do i need?

cheers arron

Offline X4MGS

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,564
  • VAG Parts SNOB!!!
Re: What size wheels
« Reply #1 on: 24 August 2010, 21:55 »
Depends on a number of factors...

Have a play with this for wheel sizes.... http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp

For Offsets try this.... OEM ones are ET33 or ET35... http://www.1010tires.com/WheelOffsetCalculator.asp

Wheel size is not the be all and end all... You have to consider Ride Quality, Road Noise & Handling, as these can all be affected by what you fit!!!

High Quality Chrome & Black Enamel Golf GTI Keyring's.
For More Info Click To See;
My Thread On Here  Or My Ebay Store!

Offline Ben Lessani

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,873
  • The poor mans MK2 Haynes author
Re: What size wheels
« Reply #2 on: 24 August 2010, 23:28 »
15" 7J are perfectly suited to the Golf, any bigger it looks like a tonka truck.

Offline twistedblack69

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,047
  • Proud mk2 user and abuser
Re: What size wheels
« Reply #3 on: 24 August 2010, 23:47 »
Some 16's look OK, there are even some 17s that looks OK

http://vwgolfmk2.co.uk/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=23158&highlight=wheels

I've got ET24 15" wheels on my Golf, and had it not been lowered, they'd have been fine, but where I've had it lowered, it rubs on the back wheels if I have a full car

Offline Wayne

  • Sir Postalot
  • *
  • Posts: 32,051
Re: What size wheels
« Reply #4 on: 24 August 2010, 23:49 »
15" alloys are the best all round choice for a mk2.

Offline Neo Badness

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,780
  • Feet are for pedals
Re: What size wheels
« Reply #5 on: 25 August 2010, 00:09 »
29in chrome spinners = win

You don't own a Mk2, you support it.

Offline X4MGS

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,564
  • VAG Parts SNOB!!!
Re: What size wheels
« Reply #6 on: 25 August 2010, 00:10 »
29in chrome spinners = win

Need a piccy of that... before I ditch my RM's.... :rolleyes:

High Quality Chrome & Black Enamel Golf GTI Keyring's.
For More Info Click To See;
My Thread On Here  Or My Ebay Store!

Offline Haribo!

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,327
Re: What size wheels
« Reply #7 on: 25 August 2010, 00:12 »
as said, 15s are the way way forward :D

Offline Neo Badness

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,780
  • Feet are for pedals
Re: What size wheels
« Reply #8 on: 25 August 2010, 08:37 »
29in chrome spinners = win

Need a piccy of that... before I ditch my RM's.... :rolleyes:

On it  :grin:

You don't own a Mk2, you support it.

Offline mwep201081

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 356
Re: What size wheels
« Reply #9 on: 25 August 2010, 10:48 »
I've got 17's and they look OK. Had to work the front and rear arches quite a bit tho and in hindsight I'd probably say it isn't worth the effort