Author Topic: Indicator lever......  (Read 2328 times)

Offline Maltman

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 62
Indicator lever......
« on: 24 August 2010, 12:07 »
1991 Mk2 with hazard switch on top of indicator lever.

Indicator lever self cancels promptly when completing a right hand turn, but refuses to self cancel when making a left turn. Am now on my third lever unit! (Standing Order on Ebay it would seem!)... and still the problem persists.

Can't believe they are all 'faulty' so might the problem lie elsewhere? Is there a different cam on the steering wheel that only comes into play when making a left turn??

Not a huge problem to cancel the lever manually, but irritating that it works one way but not the other.

Anyone any thoughts?

M.

Offline X4MGS

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,564
  • VAG Parts SNOB!!!
Re: Indicator lever......
« Reply #1 on: 24 August 2010, 12:26 »
I have the same issue with my car.... I have just bought a shiney new stalk from a guy off Ebay as mine had the symbols missing and wanted a new one...

Anyway fitted last week and I am having the exact same issue as you so I am going to take it back off and fit the VW orginal one back on...

I also noted that the Hazard switch dont work as well either...

The OEM has never missed a beat, and works perfectly...

So the moral of this story only buy OEM ones, the Patten may be shiney and new but they just don't work as well...

Get yourself a used VW one!!

High Quality Chrome & Black Enamel Golf GTI Keyring's.
For More Info Click To See;
My Thread On Here  Or My Ebay Store!

Offline Maltman

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 62
Re: Indicator lever......
« Reply #2 on: 24 August 2010, 13:24 »
Thanks for your reply Xmags...... thing is, the replacements I've fitted ARE original parts - albeit now 20 years old. I was not aware that a non-original part could be had for this particular component.

Can't understand while they all fail in the same way..... which makes me think the fault lies somewhere outwith the indicator lever iteslf.

Further thoughts welcome - !

M.


Offline Maltman

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 62
Re: Indicator lever......
« Reply #3 on: 24 August 2010, 13:25 »
Sorry.... X4MGS..... should have gone to specsavers!!
M.

Offline X4MGS

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,564
  • VAG Parts SNOB!!!
Re: Indicator lever......
« Reply #4 on: 24 August 2010, 13:30 »
No Worries... Could be an issues with the cancelling mech then... But I know little about it...

RJ will no doubt have an answer!!!

High Quality Chrome & Black Enamel Golf GTI Keyring's.
For More Info Click To See;
My Thread On Here  Or My Ebay Store!

Offline rubjonny

  • 10k hero
  • *
  • Posts: 16,349
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
Re: Indicator lever......
« Reply #5 on: 24 August 2010, 13:53 »
before you fit the wheel, click the indicator up and dow, you should see a white tab pop out. this is what the tab on the wheel hits to cancel the indicators. if it only pops out when indicating 1 way ot t'other, its the stalk. if it pops out, try tapping it up or down with a screwdriver to see if the indicator cancels or not. if it doers its the wheel, if not its the stalks.

have a look at the tab on the back of the wheel closely, does it look a little worn?
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline X4MGS

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,564
  • VAG Parts SNOB!!!
Re: Indicator lever......
« Reply #6 on: 24 August 2010, 14:26 »
before you fit the wheel, click the indicator up and dow, you should see a white tab pop out. this is what the tab on the wheel hits to cancel the indicators. if it only pops out when indicating 1 way ot t'other, its the stalk. if it pops out, try tapping it up or down with a screwdriver to see if the indicator cancels or not. if it doers its the wheel, if not its the stalks.

have a look at the tab on the back of the wheel closely, does it look a little worn?

Told You RJ would be along with the answer...

Just changed mine back to the OEM one and had a play and was just gonna post the same info as RJ...

Mines now back to its full working order... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

High Quality Chrome & Black Enamel Golf GTI Keyring's.
For More Info Click To See;
My Thread On Here  Or My Ebay Store!

Offline Maltman

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 62
Re: Indicator lever......continued!
« Reply #7 on: 24 August 2010, 15:31 »
Thanks RJ..... have just tried what you suggested - Lever up (right turn) little white tab pops out. Push it up with screwdriver and lever cancels. Did the same to the left, tab pops out and cancels when pushed down with screwdriver.
Soused the mechanism with WD40, let it sit and wiped it clean. Worked just the same.

The little white nylon(?) tab does not appear to be unevenly worn - but I do not know what a brand new one looked like.

Looks like I may have to take the steering wheel off (again) and see what engages the white tabs as the wheel is moved.
Another steering wheel????? Might this be possible answer?? or can some mod be made to existing wheel to ensure the white tabs make contact and release the lever?

Incidentally, the replacement stalks have all worked properly - for a short time - then each has become u/s on left turns as they have been used.
This is becoming an obsession...!!

M


Offline X4MGS

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,564
  • VAG Parts SNOB!!!
Re: Indicator lever......
« Reply #8 on: 24 August 2010, 16:15 »
How far right past the center does the steering wheel have to move to cancel it?

Or does it not matter how far right it has to go? (after doing a left turn)...

Could be that the steering alignment has been altered with the track rod ends and rather then putting them on properly someone has just repositioned the steering wheel...

High Quality Chrome & Black Enamel Golf GTI Keyring's.
For More Info Click To See;
My Thread On Here  Or My Ebay Store!

Offline twistedblack69

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,047
  • Proud mk2 user and abuser
Re: Indicator lever......
« Reply #9 on: 24 August 2010, 23:54 »
I think it's when the wheels are straight again.I need to take my wheel off and have a look at mine as mine is the same. I am using a Polo wheel, maybe this is the problem  :lipsrsealed: :lipsrsealed: