Author Topic: mk2 rear brakes work to well  (Read 4015 times)

Offline leeroy20vt

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,951
  • h reg mk2 gti
mk2 rear brakes work to well
« on: 23 August 2010, 21:25 »
as some of u may know im in the middle of building a mk2 track car with mk3 running gear (widetrack)

we have put mk3 disks on back and a willwood bias valve but took it for a quick drive up road today to test brakes after they were bled and the rear is locking even with the bias valve wound right off

what can i do to further reduce fluid to rears i have some reducers out of a mk1 cab is this a possabillity if so where in the system should i put them ?

posted this in trackdays as well but then thought might not quite be the rite place

cheers lee  
 
 
 

Offline Ben Lessani

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,873
  • The poor mans MK2 Haynes author
Re: mk2 rear brakes work to well
« Reply #1 on: 24 August 2010, 23:54 »
If you've closed the rear bias - then they shouldn't operate at all. Methinks you haven't plumbed it properly.

Offline leeroy20vt

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,951
  • h reg mk2 gti
Re: mk2 rear brakes work to well
« Reply #2 on: 25 August 2010, 08:40 »
apperently they only do 57 % from what ive read there was only a few old wilwoods that shut off completly

lol not being funny but its one line in one line out how could u not plumb in properly ?

Offline Ben Lessani

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,873
  • The poor mans MK2 Haynes author
Re: mk2 rear brakes work to well
« Reply #3 on: 25 August 2010, 10:26 »
apperently they only do 57 % from what ive read there was only a few old wilwoods that shut off completly

lol not being funny but its one line in one line out how could u not plumb in properly ?


Well it should be 2 lines (front corner -> rear corner), and if you've put the valve in backwards (depending on design) it might cause unpredictable behaviour.

The rears should only account for about 30% of braking (with no additional weight on the rear axle).

All I can go off is what you have described, you're saying if you shut the valve totally - they still lock up - that screams something is fatally wrong.

Offline leeroy20vt

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,951
  • h reg mk2 gti
Re: mk2 rear brakes work to well
« Reply #4 on: 25 August 2010, 11:15 »
this is the valve i got 2nd one down  as u can see it only does upto 57% which i thought would be enough
http://www.wilwood.com/MasterCylinders/MasterCylinderValves.aspx

i have spoke to loads of people and have run one line for rear and one for front so its diagonal as it was every one said this would be ok only reason it run diagonal is for brake failure reason ?

when i had on brake roller fronts were 250 ft/lb and rear were 100 ft/lb at there lowest settings there were all very balanced to

i have just put the reducers in so shall see in abit what that does

im sure i put in the rite way as it has in and out on it goin to doulbe check tho lol

Offline Ben Lessani

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,873
  • The poor mans MK2 Haynes author
Re: mk2 rear brakes work to well
« Reply #5 on: 25 August 2010, 11:50 »
I'm confused.

You said you've run 1 line for front and 1 for rears - then said you've used a diagonal split system, you are contradicting yourself :(

It should be 1 line for front left and rear right, and another line for front right and rear left, so 2 lines going to the rear in total - meaning 4 pipes in the bias valve (2 in, 2 out).

Offline leeroy20vt

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,951
  • h reg mk2 gti
Re: mk2 rear brakes work to well
« Reply #6 on: 25 August 2010, 12:34 »
opps soz that did come out wrong i have a 2 pipe mc one does front one does rear

rear tees off at the back in the centre off car

like i said spoke to loads of people and they all said this would be fine as its not a road goin car hmmm

Offline Ben Lessani

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,873
  • The poor mans MK2 Haynes author
Re: mk2 rear brakes work to well
« Reply #7 on: 25 August 2010, 13:05 »
I've never put a track toy together, so maybe the consensus is as you say, but if it were me, I'd have a diagonal split system - track cars should be even safer than road cars :rolleyes: Best waiting for someone more experienced to interject though :)

Offline Mew

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,589
Re: mk2 rear brakes work to well
« Reply #8 on: 25 August 2010, 13:21 »
I've never put a track toy together, so maybe the consensus is as you say, but if it were me, I'd have a diagonal split system - track cars should be even safer than road cars :rolleyes: Best waiting for someone more experienced to interject though :)

Depends on how you look at it though. Excellent maintenance together with new parts is generally safer imo

Offline rubjonny

  • 10k hero
  • *
  • Posts: 16,349
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
Re: mk2 rear brakes work to well
« Reply #9 on: 25 August 2010, 14:40 »
i assume what he means is the 2 front brakes are still on a diagonal split, its just the 2 rear lines that are joined together to run thru the bias valve yes? if so id say that should be safe enough as since rears dont do much anyway loosing them both wouldnt be such a big deal.
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.