Author Topic: Water Temp Gauge Stopped Working...  (Read 3391 times)

Offline X4MGS

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,564
  • VAG Parts SNOB!!!
Water Temp Gauge Stopped Working...
« on: 22 August 2010, 21:47 »
1991 Digi with VDO Dash Unit....

On my way home from Hull tonight was tonking the car most of the way there and back.... Great Fun with a 20 Year old Car.... Out run a Mk5 R32 Hehehehehehe

Anyway the temp gauge has always been a low reader even when the engine is realy hot from being stood on the drive with the engine running...

But on the way back it seems to have given up the ghost all together...

When I got home popped the hood (Grrrrr) and there was plenty of water in the tank, the heater still works, Pipes were nice and hot & no signs of any leaks etc

Anyone have any idea what or where I should check??

Cheers Guys

High Quality Chrome & Black Enamel Golf GTI Keyring's.
For More Info Click To See;
My Thread On Here  Or My Ebay Store!

Offline Alec

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 844
Re: Water Temp Gauge Stopped Working...
« Reply #1 on: 22 August 2010, 21:52 »
Try a different temp sender, is it an 8valve or 16valve

Offline rob.043

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 496
Re: Water Temp Gauge Stopped Working...
« Reply #2 on: 22 August 2010, 21:59 »
Is it likely to be the black temp sensor? There are the two sensors on the front of the head, on the water flange, one blue, one black. The blue is for the ecu, and the black is for the dash gauge.

The black sensors seem to read low with age, I just fitted a new sensor, and now the needle sits near half at normal running temp (it used to only get that high when the fan was coming on)

So that may be worth replacing. looking at my reciept from vw the blue and black sensors were £13.37 and
£19.22 inc vat, duno which is which tho! (part no's  025906041A, 251919501D) May be worth getting genuine, as reports indicate aftermarket blue sensors are not as good, so same probably goes for black....

Offline rob.043

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 496
Re: Water Temp Gauge Stopped Working...
« Reply #3 on: 22 August 2010, 22:01 »
Of course if its stopped working suddenly, the connector and wiring to said sensor has to be worth a look first!

Offline X4MGS

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,564
  • VAG Parts SNOB!!!
Re: Water Temp Gauge Stopped Working...
« Reply #4 on: 23 August 2010, 00:11 »
Thanks Guys...

Black temp sender wiring to be tested first...

I have a feeling that it will need a new sender... so will order one from VW tomorrow...

High Quality Chrome & Black Enamel Golf GTI Keyring's.
For More Info Click To See;
My Thread On Here  Or My Ebay Store!

Offline rubjonny

  • 10k hero
  • *
  • Posts: 16,349
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
Re: Water Temp Gauge Stopped Working...
« Reply #5 on: 23 August 2010, 09:49 »
check the coolant system is working right as per the faq guide, in particular check the thermostat.  black sensor is the dash temp one, before you buy another bridge the pins on the plug and switch on the ign, the gauge should then shoot to max
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline walchy01

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,033
Re: Water Temp Gauge Stopped Working...
« Reply #6 on: 23 August 2010, 15:14 »
Hi mate

Just changed mine on the valver, think it was 25 quid ish from TPS
Back working now :grin:

Offline Cory

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 433
Re: Water Temp Gauge Stopped Working...
« Reply #7 on: 23 August 2010, 18:14 »
the temp sender to the dash is 251919501D.  ordered one from vwspares yesterday £11 something posted  :smiley:

Offline X4MGS

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,564
  • VAG Parts SNOB!!!
Re: Water Temp Gauge Stopped Working...
« Reply #8 on: 24 August 2010, 14:30 »
It's the temp sender... So just ordered a new one from the stealers... Took out the old one and cleaned it up and its just started working again but still reads low.... I had the same isue with the Blue one...

Seem the last owner has fitted GSF ones and they do the Job just not for very long!!!   :huh: :sad:

Yes RJ, I did test the coolant system.. Thanks for the heads up and its all fine...  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

High Quality Chrome & Black Enamel Golf GTI Keyring's.
For More Info Click To See;
My Thread On Here  Or My Ebay Store!

Offline emery1990

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,196
Re: Water Temp Gauge Stopped Working...
« Reply #9 on: 24 August 2010, 16:31 »
I need one of these too, but will test the wiring first, been duff since i got it, scary running my car with no water or oil temp sensor   :angry:

whats was the vw spares one like, good quality ?