Author Topic: im converted !! i think  (Read 4380 times)

Offline walchy01

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,033
Re: im converted !! i think
« Reply #10 on: 19 August 2010, 17:12 »
All I've replaced is 19 year old warn parts, nothing breaks, just wears out, every part I have replaced so far which is most things :grin: are original 19 year old parts....
Great fun

Offline Diamond Hell

  • Serious forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 7,992
  • Opinions я Us
Re: im converted !! i think
« Reply #11 on: 20 August 2010, 08:25 »
I think taking lessons from Stink's experience is definitely worthwhile.

I've run a Golf2 as a daily for a few years, but I don't now as I've got kids and we wanted something bigger and safer with things like ISOfix.

If you're practical and you don't have kids to drag about on a regular basis then I think they're still one of the finest motoring propositions available.

I think they improve with sensitive updating, too.

I do have reservations about nailing a 1.8T in the front of one however.  A lot of what the Golf2 is about is the fantastic, balanced handling that doesn't have the modern safety aids to get in the way.  If you load the front end too much you're going to substantially change the weight balance.  I would be concerned about damaging the driving experience.  However, there are plenty of 1.8T conversions out there, so go find a good shell and let's see what you can do.  :cool:
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline the_stink

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 4,308
  • A3 140 TDI
Re: im converted !! i think
« Reply #12 on: 26 August 2010, 20:08 »
Have a read through Stinks old posts before starting ... http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?action=profile;u=17028;sa=showPosts - should be an eye-opener!

Or jump into the MK2 dub section (or click my sig link), then you'll see how often our heaps fail :D
I think taking lessons from Stink's experience is definitely worthwhile.

I've run a Golf2 as a daily for a few years, but I don't now as I've got kids and we wanted something bigger and safer with things like ISOfix.

If you're practical and you don't have kids to drag about on a regular basis then I think they're still one of the finest motoring propositions available.

I think they improve with sensitive updating, too.

I do have reservations about nailing a 1.8T in the front of one however.  A lot of what the Golf2 is about is the fantastic, balanced handling that doesn't have the modern safety aids to get in the way.  If you load the front end too much you're going to substantially change the weight balance.  I would be concerned about damaging the driving experience.  However, there are plenty of 1.8T conversions out there, so go find a good shell and let's see what you can do.  :cool:

Yes please read through my posts honestly it takes alot of getting used to! And well I still am I do have my good days, thats normally when no lights are flashing or there are no weird noises! I do love my mkii but i Hate it at the best of times!

But well its going to get sorted eventually and when it does im sure it will be super!  :cool: but for now  :angry: :grin:

Offline Ben Lessani

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,873
  • The poor mans MK2 Haynes author
Re: im converted !! i think
« Reply #13 on: 26 August 2010, 20:31 »
But well its going to get sorted eventually and when it does im sure it will be super!  :cool: but for now  :angry: :grin:

You keep that positive attitude because you'll bloody well need it

Offline the_stink

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 4,308
  • A3 140 TDI
Re: im converted !! i think
« Reply #14 on: 26 August 2010, 20:38 »
But well its going to get sorted eventually and when it does im sure it will be super!  :cool: but for now  :angry: :grin:

You keep that positive attitude because you'll bloody well need it

true that! well got some motivation to finalyl spray my rear bumper and fit the standard tailgate which will happen over the next month plus gettign the new RA's on then its just getting it through the winter !

Offline OakeyDoak16v

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,063
Re: im converted !! i think
« Reply #15 on: 29 August 2010, 03:40 »
Keep up the good work Stink.. :smiley: