Author Topic: Mk2 valver - won't start  (Read 1105 times)

Offline gez110

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 59
Mk2 valver - won't start
« on: 13 August 2010, 12:46 »
Hi,

My 89 valver won't start.

I'm not getting any fuel to the injectors, so far I have checked the following;

Lift pump operates, filter clear
Main pump primes but does not run continuosly unless the relay is bridged. Even then I don't get any fuel to the injectors when I turn the engine over
Checked static timing (new belt and tensioner)
Fresh fuel filter
New accumulator
The metering head flap moves freely
I have a good strong spark

Any ideas?

My only thought is that the black connector below the distrib (TCI?) being lose could some how cause a problem?. Could this effect fuel delivery? Also, I have replaced the ignition loom but as stated above I have a good strong spark

HELP, I haven't driven my valver for almost a year!!!

Offline Wayne

  • Sir Postalot
  • *
  • Posts: 32,051
Re: Mk2 valver - won't start
« Reply #1 on: 13 August 2010, 13:07 »
I might be wrong but maybe the pump is dead.

If it has been standing very good chance of a blockage in the fuel line somewhere.

Offline SoundillusioN

  • 10k hero
  • *
  • Posts: 10,004
  • If I can't fix it at home, it ain't getting fixed.
Re: Mk2 valver - won't start
« Reply #2 on: 13 August 2010, 15:16 »
Try disconecting the the fuel line from the pump, bridge connections for the pump and check the fuel pump is doing its job properly, if it is then like wayne says there is quite likely something blocking the lines.. you could even work from the bay first and go backwards, disconnect the fuel line at the filter first, bridge it and see if you get fuel from there, if not then try it at the pump side... Obvious precautions have to be taken.  :shocked:

Offline gez110

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 59
Re: Mk2 valver - won't start
« Reply #3 on: 15 August 2010, 15:44 »
I think I've tracked it down to the fuel pump relay. As I said in my orginal post the pump only runs when the relay is bridged, I've now confrmed the ecu sends the relay power when the ignitions on and obviously the pump runs when the relays bridged, so it must be the relay. I also confrmed fuel to the injectors with the relay bridged and by holding the metering head flap open.

Just need a new relay!!!!!!!! :smiley: Fingers crossed