Author Topic: Rear Suspension Strut.  (Read 1080 times)

Offline porsche

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 19
  • 1989 Mk2 8V GTI & Porsche 911 Carrera
Rear Suspension Strut.
« on: 08 August 2010, 22:37 »
Hi Folks,

The rear strut top has poked it's self through my parcel shelf side panel..... The two lock nuts are still in place on the top as is the lower one. I've removed the strut & inspected all the parts & the only part that looks worn is the hole in the top spring cap.

I've checked the Haynes manual & it looks like a washer is missing from below the top spring cap (just above the spring clip?) Can this be the problem?  I can't see how a washer would make any difference. Also what's the purpose of the spring clip?

Thanks in advance,

Alan.


Offline The Mighty Elvi

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,403
  • I'm better than you today.
Re: Rear Suspension Strut.
« Reply #1 on: 09 August 2010, 13:55 »
If I'm following you correctly I had the same issue.

There is a ring clip washer that sits in a grove on the piston.  This sits proud of the piston diameter.  This prevents the top mount plate from going all the way down the piston, and conversely, the piston poking through your parcel shelf.

Sound similar?

« Last Edit: 09 August 2010, 15:16 by The Flying Elvi »

Offline Agreeable Slick

  • Global Moderator
  • Serious forum addict
  • *****
  • Posts: 7,066
  • Unit
Re: Rear Suspension Strut.
« Reply #2 on: 09 August 2010, 14:34 »
The above poster is correct.

The search function would have also revealed this.  :wink:

Offline porsche

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 19
  • 1989 Mk2 8V GTI & Porsche 911 Carrera
Re: Rear Suspension Strut.
« Reply #3 on: 09 August 2010, 16:08 »
Thanks Guys, Got it sorted now. It was getting late last night & I couldn't get my head round it. :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Alan.