Author Topic: Big bumper Splitter  (Read 4890 times)

Offline lingl9z

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 172
Big bumper Splitter
« on: 03 August 2010, 16:11 »
Hi there, basically I've tried many times getting up my driveway, even using the bit of wood tech but that seem's to be awkward giving my road can get very busy!

now was wondering if anyone has any pics of a Mk2 gti with big bumpers and no front splitter, or a smaller splitter, or if it's possible to trim the splitter down a little bit to stop it catching and getting close to ripping my bumper off?

thanks in advance

Rich.

Offline dragonfly

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,110
Re: Big bumper Splitter
« Reply #1 on: 03 August 2010, 16:16 »
Removing the splitter will make the car look horrid.  Not sure you can trim it either because of the design and shape. Don't forget it wraps around to meet the bottom of the front arch trim - any alteration will be visible.

Offline lingl9z

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 172
Re: Big bumper Splitter
« Reply #2 on: 03 August 2010, 16:28 »
it's just a pain, the cars not even ridculously low either, I'm more than sure the fronts slightly higher than the rear aswell... :(

Offline Mitching

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 488
Re: Big bumper Splitter
« Reply #3 on: 03 August 2010, 18:10 »
They look sh!t without it, they're only soft flexible plastic so cant cause damage.
Also, where they're slotted together (in the middle, front) this sometimes seperates slightly on impact and can be just pushed back together.
I kinow this because it sometimes happens if I forget about speed bumps or go to my mates house ;)

Offline cняis

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,034
  • Know there's something burning over there...
Re: Big bumper Splitter
« Reply #4 on: 03 August 2010, 18:26 »
They look sh!t without it, they're only soft flexible plastic so cant cause damage.
Also, where they're slotted together (in the middle, front) this sometimes seperates slightly on impact and can be just pushed back together.
I kinow this because it sometimes happens if I forget about speed bumps or go to my mates house ;)

you must have huge speedbumps in your area, the car in you sig pic doesnt look particularly low  :huh:


I don't think a semi will give the same results

Offline dannydubs

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 620
  • mk2 gti,mk3 wagon,mk5gti
Re: Big bumper Splitter
« Reply #5 on: 03 August 2010, 20:19 »
ive cracked my bumber hanger on mine from the splitter hiting speed humps and pushing the bumber up

.....the project.........

Offline lingl9z

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 172
Re: Big bumper Splitter
« Reply #6 on: 04 August 2010, 19:38 »
Yeah my cars not even that low but the splitter seem's to catch on quiet a few things, if the idiots that park down my road leave enough space either side of my drive, I can turn the wheel full lock so the wheel goes up the regular curb instead of dropped but it can be pretty awkward! if there's lot's of cars :(

Offline Mitching

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 488
Re: Big bumper Splitter
« Reply #7 on: 05 August 2010, 09:29 »
They look sh!t without it, they're only soft flexible plastic so cant cause damage.
Also, where they're slotted together (in the middle, front) this sometimes seperates slightly on impact and can be just pushed back together.
I kinow this because it sometimes happens if I forget about speed bumps or go to my mates house ;)

you must have huge speedbumps in your area, the car in you sig pic doesnt look particularly low  :huh:

That was before I lowered it ;)

This is how it sits now, but the speed bumps round here are big and plentiful!

Offline lingl9z

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 172
Re: Big bumper Splitter
« Reply #8 on: 05 August 2010, 13:30 »
That's already lower than my golf lol!, dread to see how much it'd hit if it was any lower!

Offline kevjenkins

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 70
  • VW ITS A RELIGION
Re: Big bumper Splitter
« Reply #9 on: 06 August 2010, 16:54 »
Personally i dont like "the lowered look" it should be as it looked like when new!!!!!!!!!