Author Topic: Starting Issue after Replacing Dizzy  (Read 4669 times)

Offline Ben Lessani

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,873
  • The poor mans MK2 Haynes author
Re: Starting Issue after Replacing Dizzy
« Reply #10 on: 03 October 2010, 00:45 »
Have a run through this http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=49436.msg1520084#msg1520084

Might help highlight if its the hall sender / coil

Incidentally, when you say the rev needle bounces - does the engine hunt too (or is it just the clocks)? Does it do it when its hot/cold?

Offline gavL

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 312
Re: Starting Issue after Replacing Dizzy
« Reply #11 on: 03 October 2010, 02:35 »
I will get the engine to temp and see, its just very erratic it will show the true revs for a split second then go to like 3k and then down to 0 bouncing back and forth, it never really settles. The engine its self stays constant. I will get a video also when I'm back on Friday of exactly what its doing :)
« Last Edit: 03 October 2010, 02:38 by gavL »
| DubNorthEast |

Offline Ben Lessani

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,873
  • The poor mans MK2 Haynes author
Re: Starting Issue after Replacing Dizzy
« Reply #12 on: 03 October 2010, 02:45 »
I will get the engine to temp and see, its just very erratic it will show the true revs for a split second then go to like 3k and then down to 0 bouncing back and forth, it never really settles. The engine its self stays constant. I will get a video also when I'm back on Friday of exactly what its doing :)

Whats the condition of the coil > head earth like?

Offline gavL

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 312
Re: Starting Issue after Replacing Dizzy
« Reply #13 on: 03 October 2010, 12:28 »
Pretty good, I know that it fires on all cylinders as I checked them against the block and if its sparking I guess that means the coilpack is okay?

Will run the test you have in your thread to check the Hallsender. Any ideas where you can get a new Hallsender from? Or just worth buying a Referbed Dizzy?
| DubNorthEast |

Offline gavL

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 312
Re: Starting Issue after Replacing Dizzy
« Reply #14 on: 04 October 2010, 11:17 »
Decided its got to be the replacement dizzys Hallsender I got the thing for £10 so can't complain. Just splashed out this morning on a new Bosch dizzy £101. Thank god I get things at a reduction..
| DubNorthEast |

Offline gavL

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 312
Re: Starting Issue after Replacing Dizzy
« Reply #15 on: 08 October 2010, 13:43 »
So replaced the dizzy with a new one and no luck. Pictures of video and setup of TDC below. I'm stumped I really am...  :huh:


TDC On Crank


TDC on Flywheel


TDC on Flywheel & Rotor arm facing 1


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kigeXH0Aa9g

Engine turns when we twist it still nothing.
| DubNorthEast |

Offline gavL

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 312
Re: Starting Issue after Replacing Dizzy
« Reply #16 on: 08 October 2010, 14:37 »
Intermediate shaft? Sat reading the Haynes manual and I get this sneaking feeling that it may not be said to TDC, but I thought if this wasn't at TDC then the rotor arm would be pointing else where?
| DubNorthEast |

Offline rubjonny

  • 10k hero
  • *
  • Posts: 16,349
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
Re: Starting Issue after Replacing Dizzy
« Reply #17 on: 08 October 2010, 14:56 »
you arnt using the large diamond mark on the flywheel to set tdc are you? if so thats wrong. you set flywheel to tdc using the smaller punch mark. the big diamond is for setting the ignition timing with a timing light, for info on how to do that read the digifant tuning guide.

heres a better pic of what you are looking for, massive diamond is ign timing mark, small punch mark is TDC marker:
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline gavL

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 312
Re: Starting Issue after Replacing Dizzy
« Reply #18 on: 08 October 2010, 16:16 »
Ahhhh! Set it all up but the battery is dead so waiting on it charging now.
| DubNorthEast |

Offline gavL

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 312
Re: Starting Issue after Replacing Dizzy
« Reply #19 on: 09 October 2010, 14:19 »
So went over everything again set to the TDC, checked every mark etc. Twisted dizzy back and forth and it just won't fire.

This is really stressing me out...
| DubNorthEast |