Author Topic: Clutch problems?  (Read 1304 times)

Offline BiGUKG

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 307
  • Simples!
Clutch problems?
« on: 31 July 2010, 10:45 »
The car is my MK2 1.3 Golf Ryder...........


There's a really loud sort of grinding noise coming from what sounds like the gearbox when I ease of, it's one of them noises that makes you cringe and think "oooo, that's not doing any good!!!".

As soon as I put the clutch down, or accelerate again it stops. I'm pretty sure it's something to do with the clutch if it stops when I put the clutch down, but I'm ending up riding the clutch most of the time to stop the noise which is a) not doing the clutch in general any good and will more than likely make the problem worse and b) is dangerous, especially down hills as it speeds the car up slightly, meaning I'm using the brakes more too......

Any ideas? Thinking someone on here might have had a simlar problem.

http://www.vw-southeast.co.uk
"The community for enthusiasts and owners in the South East"

Offline DarnPB

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,958
  • Formerly Darnpistonbroke
Re: Clutch problems?
« Reply #1 on: 31 July 2010, 10:54 »
Your clutch release bearing has had enough of life and is giving up. Not too bad a job to change on larger engined cars with respective gearboxes, but don't know about yours. I would imagine pretty much the same.
You may want to go the whole hog and change the clutch too. Sounds like it's been in there a while.


THE FORUMS NUMBER ONE ANTI-FOOTBALL FAN!!!

Offline BiGUKG

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 307
  • Simples!
Re: Clutch problems?
« Reply #2 on: 31 July 2010, 11:00 »
That G60 is lovely mate!

I did think about going through the receipts I have for the car and seeing if there is any evidence of clutch work going on... I doubt it's ever had anything done, although, it has done 115k in it's 20yr life so I'm not too sure really.

Clutches aren't my strong point..... :huh:

http://www.vw-southeast.co.uk
"The community for enthusiasts and owners in the South East"

Offline DarnPB

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,958
  • Formerly Darnpistonbroke
Re: Clutch problems?
« Reply #3 on: 31 July 2010, 11:03 »
That G60 is lovely mate!

Thanks.  :smiley: Up for sale soon though. :cry:

A clutch change is not that bad if you have basic knowledge and the Haynes book of words. Although a garage would probably charge £100 or so plus parts. So not a real horror story. :wink:


THE FORUMS NUMBER ONE ANTI-FOOTBALL FAN!!!

Offline BiGUKG

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 307
  • Simples!
Re: Clutch problems?
« Reply #4 on: 31 July 2010, 11:28 »
That's a shame! Should be worth a decent sale price though surely? Looks in spotless condition.

I'll have a look on the net to try and pick one up. My step dad/older brother can fit it so I'll try to avoid paying out for labour if I can! Not really got £100 to wander into a garage with at the moment, times are hard!  :rolleyes:

http://www.vw-southeast.co.uk
"The community for enthusiasts and owners in the South East"