Author Topic: Twin 40's, Smoke out of oil breather, what compression?  (Read 2136 times)

Offline warnesey333

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 660
Just fitted my Twin Webers, started her up and she sounds awesome and runs well.

However, there is a fair amount of smoke coming up through the rocker breather.

I've done a bit of reading around and it could be blow by.

I've so far tested the compression on Cyl 1 and 2, they are very similar, 120 - 130.

I'm still to test the last 2 cylinders, but if these prove to be similar, are there any other reasons for this?

Or is this just what happens with the golf...and then the fumes are put back into the inlet manifold (with the oil breather).

Cheers,
Jack

Offline warnesey333

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 660
Re: Twin 40's, Smoke out of oil breather, what compression?
« Reply #1 on: 30 July 2010, 18:05 »
Running out of battery power, so going to restest cylinders 1 and 2 because I wasn't confident they were tested right.

I've just done 3 and 4 and got 11bar, 160psi.

If Cylinders 1 and 2 are the same (around 120 - 130psi), does this suggest head gasket?


Offline warnesey333

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 660
Re: Twin 40's, Smoke out of oil breather, what compression?
« Reply #2 on: 30 July 2010, 18:56 »
Ok ignore this thread :D

Cylinder 1 is 3 bar down on the rest so I'm going to change the rings.

Pain in the arse :D

Offline danny_p

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 4,644
Re: Twin 40's, Smoke out of oil breather, what compression?
« Reply #3 on: 30 July 2010, 19:45 »
yup  time for new rings
all the VW's have gone bar 1.

Offline Wayne

  • Sir Postalot
  • *
  • Posts: 32,051
Re: Twin 40's, Smoke out of oil breather, what compression?
« Reply #4 on: 30 July 2010, 23:21 »
Sounds like a ring problem.