Author Topic: GTi Front Grille - Removal  (Read 3435 times)

Offline BiGUKG

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 307
  • Simples!
GTi Front Grille - Removal
« on: 29 July 2010, 17:15 »
Can anyone let me know how to take the old Grille off so I can replace with a new one, already has the "spot lights" on there ready to plug in so not expecting it to be too hard.

Also, the lip on the bottom of the new GTi grille is the wrong colour! So I want to swap it with the old one....

How do I get the baxtard lip off as well? It's massive over kill on clips and I don't know where to start tbh....

http://www.vw-southeast.co.uk
"The community for enthusiasts and owners in the South East"

Offline Charge

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 263
  • Into Notion, Out of Motion
Re: GTi Front Grille - Removal
« Reply #1 on: 29 July 2010, 17:17 »
Open the bonnet and start taking the screws out that hold the grill in place (top of grill) then it should just slide out. Then disconnect the right wires for the lights.

Offline BiGUKG

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 307
  • Simples!
Re: GTi Front Grille - Removal
« Reply #2 on: 29 July 2010, 17:19 »
Thanks mate - any ideas with the stupid clip on lip at the bottom of the grille? lol. Really excited about getting the GTi grille on but refuse to put it on a tornado red golf with a dark red lip on it!!  :rolleyes:

http://www.vw-southeast.co.uk
"The community for enthusiasts and owners in the South East"

Offline oakgreengolf

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,304
  • CAR FOR SALE PM FOR FURTHER INFO
Re: GTi Front Grille - Removal
« Reply #3 on: 29 July 2010, 18:25 »
get the grill off and look all will become clear  :wink:

Offline X4MGS

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,564
  • VAG Parts SNOB!!!
Re: GTi Front Grille - Removal
« Reply #4 on: 29 July 2010, 19:26 »
Thanks mate - any ideas with the stupid clip on lip at the bottom of the grille? lol. Really excited about getting the GTi grille on but refuse to put it on a tornado red golf with a dark red lip on it!!  :rolleyes:

It really is that simple...

3 screws and the rest just clip's together...

JUST DONT Force anything... Walk away and have a brew or a fag and go back to it...

Only tools needed ar a couple of screwdrivers...

High Quality Chrome & Black Enamel Golf GTI Keyring's.
For More Info Click To See;
My Thread On Here  Or My Ebay Store!

Offline BiGUKG

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 307
  • Simples!
Re: GTi Front Grille - Removal
« Reply #5 on: 29 July 2010, 22:38 »
Thanks all, will have a go tomorrow after work. Been at the pub tonight with the mother in law to be, the fiancee and my dear mum discussing engagement party arrangements so haven't really had the chance to sort it!

Being the designated driver would have been so pants had I not loved driving the Golf, even with my Mum sitting in the passenger seat.  :rolleyes:

Will post pics here tomorrow of it done for all to see, should look better until the post-1990 spec bumpers come along  :smiley:

http://www.vw-southeast.co.uk
"The community for enthusiasts and owners in the South East"

Offline DarnPB

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,958
  • Formerly Darnpistonbroke
Re: GTi Front Grille - Removal
« Reply #6 on: 31 July 2010, 11:00 »
You take the bottom strip off very carefully. Once you see it, all will become clear. Needs time and patience.


THE FORUMS NUMBER ONE ANTI-FOOTBALL FAN!!!

Offline cняis

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,034
  • Know there's something burning over there...
Re: GTi Front Grille - Removal
« Reply #7 on: 31 July 2010, 11:15 »
You take the bottom strip off very carefully. Once you see it, all will become clear. Needs time and patience.

my bottom strip (oo-err!) was was slightly bent around the holes (where it clips onto the grille). use a pair of pliers to carefully reshape if necessary


I don't think a semi will give the same results

Offline BiGUKG

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 307
  • Simples!
Re: GTi Front Grille - Removal
« Reply #8 on: 31 July 2010, 11:31 »
Thanks to your advice I managed to do it without incident so cheers :) Not that impressed with how it looks though, I suppose I expected dramatic change and it's really not!

Badly needs big spec bumpers now, then changing the grille will really pay off.

The grille itself was a piece of pee to change. 2 screws and it pulls straight out, unplug the lights and job done. Did have to leave the front end with a big hole in it while I tarted about changing the lip though  :smiley:

http://www.vw-southeast.co.uk
"The community for enthusiasts and owners in the South East"

Offline Sam

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,186
  • Sam I am
Re: GTi Front Grille - Removal
« Reply #9 on: 03 August 2010, 13:54 »
i have taken of and put my grill on so many times it now is almost to f1 pit crew standard, its possibly the easiest job to do on the old gal!


The entire world is a Money Pit, you just have to pick yours.