Author Topic: Doing a matrix change  (Read 2435 times)

Offline mr burns

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 63
Doing a matrix change
« on: 29 July 2010, 10:39 »
Hi all
 my heating matrix has finally given up I read the how to on here and the comments on what a pain it can be so I rang a garage for a quote (good job I wS sat down) so my question is if I take my time and follow the how to is this a job that someone with alittle bit of spanner common sense can do, I,ve bypassed the matrix at mo so that's all good, any advice much appriciated

thanks

Offline tony_ack

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 757
Re: Doing a matrix change
« Reply #1 on: 29 July 2010, 10:47 »
It's very doable. Took me 2 days, but that included sourcing and replacing the soundproofing in the floorpan, and cleaning up the mess made by the old matrix.

For a swap, set a day aside, though you could probably do it in a few hours. Hardest part for me was getting the airbox out - it is fiddly and annoying but you'll get there eventually.
1992 VW Golf MK2 GTI
1995 VW Corrado VR6

Offline mr burns

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 63
Re: Doing a matrix change
« Reply #2 on: 29 July 2010, 11:06 »
Thanks for the reply Tony looks like I,ll be busy this weekend :rolleyes:

Offline mwep201081

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 356
Re: Doing a matrix change
« Reply #3 on: 29 July 2010, 11:11 »
definitely one of them jobs where a buddy to help, not least to keep up flagging spirits, is needed

Offline X4MGS

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,564
  • VAG Parts SNOB!!!
Re: Doing a matrix change
« Reply #4 on: 29 July 2010, 11:21 »
Read These threads and buy that pipe clamp tool....

It's Worth every penny....

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=68989.0

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=33251.0

This was the first major job I did on my lads Golf, took a while to do it but it's do-able for a numpty like me and tools need are limited....

Your hands will take a battering!!! 

High Quality Chrome & Black Enamel Golf GTI Keyring's.
For More Info Click To See;
My Thread On Here  Or My Ebay Store!

Offline Thom89

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 4,092
  • Looking for an "Icebreaker"
Re: Doing a matrix change
« Reply #5 on: 30 July 2010, 21:55 »
The lower heater box nut in the engine bay behind the exhaust, before attempting to undo it, tighten it a little, spray with WD40, then wire brush the threads, and spray again before undoing, with a bit of luck, it will then undo, rather than spinning or shearing..
Thom

Offline Thom89

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 4,092
  • Looking for an "Icebreaker"
Re: Doing a matrix change
« Reply #6 on: 30 July 2010, 21:56 »
.

Offline clipperjay

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,148
Re: Doing a matrix change
« Reply #7 on: 31 July 2010, 00:16 »
Since that guide I found putting a bit of grease on the bulkhead bolts before pushing it back into place helps to make it fit into the firewall bulkhead. I should up date some of those tips as some people tend to snap off the top or bottom bolts trying to get it back in LOL.
Good luck and you know you did a good job once your hands ar cut to shreads  :laugh: 

Offline cняis

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,034
  • Know there's something burning over there...
Re: Doing a matrix change
« Reply #8 on: 31 July 2010, 00:34 »
K-SEAL :afro:  :grin:


I don't think a semi will give the same results

Offline X4MGS

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,564
  • VAG Parts SNOB!!!
Re: Doing a matrix change
« Reply #9 on: 31 July 2010, 01:46 »
If you are going to update it then also point out that its much easier to put the top vents back in when you have removed the top dash screws.. It means the dash will flex so you can get the air vents in without such a struggle....

High Quality Chrome & Black Enamel Golf GTI Keyring's.
For More Info Click To See;
My Thread On Here  Or My Ebay Store!