Author Topic: removing front wings  (Read 3881 times)

Offline retromk2craig

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 149
  • Mk2 GTI And Mk3 GTI
removing front wings
« on: 27 July 2010, 11:33 »
need some advice, im stripping down the front end and got to the wings, undone all the bolts but when i got to removing it its been stuck on i think in the inside. is this right or am i doing something wrong??

MK2 8V                                                                        MK4 4 MOTION

VeeDubGTI16v

  • Guest
Re: removing front wings
« Reply #1 on: 27 July 2010, 11:47 »
there are two more buried under a load of underseal on the back, inside the arch

Offline retromk2craig

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 149
  • Mk2 GTI And Mk3 GTI
Re: removing front wings
« Reply #2 on: 27 July 2010, 11:51 »
oh ok i found 1?? do you have and tips to getting the undereal off.... also when i resprayed them all do i need to reseal them. i would prefer not? it looks awfull?

MK2 8V                                                                        MK4 4 MOTION

VeeDubGTI16v

  • Guest
Re: removing front wings
« Reply #3 on: 27 July 2010, 12:00 »
they are equally spaced so just guess a 1/3 of the way up or down of the one you found and it should be around there. a small screwdriver is good for scraping it off. you can reseal them if you want, but the inner arch will protect that bit from stones so not essential imo, just paint any bare metal if you scratch it getting the underseal off

Offline jezza16v

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 981
Re: removing front wings
« Reply #4 on: 27 July 2010, 14:30 »
Any use? Stanley knife I used.

« Last Edit: 27 July 2010, 14:32 by jezza16v »

Offline nealey

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,062
Re: removing front wings
« Reply #5 on: 27 July 2010, 21:47 »
I used a hot air gun last time to melt the wax

Offline Toby

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,901
  • Car - less
Re: removing front wings
« Reply #6 on: 27 July 2010, 21:56 »
lol when i swas taking my old ones .. golf was getting scrapped i jumped on them lol haha! but yeh otherside i used a stanley knife.. worked wonders

A real 304bhp 286lbft in a mk4 golf!

Currently down under

Offline jezza16v

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 981
Re: removing front wings
« Reply #7 on: 27 July 2010, 22:03 »
Wasn't wax on this, it was the original rubber compound, very thick as well. Best to reseal the new one as well, the plastic arch liners aren't 100% against water, they stop grit and stones chipping the underseal but water spray still gets into all the nooks and crannies.

Offline twistedblack69

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,047
  • Proud mk2 user and abuser
Re: removing front wings
« Reply #8 on: 27 July 2010, 23:23 »
What would you use to reseal it??

Offline jezza16v

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 981
Re: removing front wings
« Reply #9 on: 28 July 2010, 15:22 »
On the part you see in the pic I would give it a good coat of waxoyl as its not too thick and squishes easily so it will not interfere with the fit of the new wing, coat the bit of the wing that fits against this part as well. Once the new wing is in place (presuming it is already painted) I would coat everything you've exposed, including the inside of the wing with the black waxoyl based spray on underseal. You're not going to see it once the arch liner is on so the finish is not important imo. If you're not putting the arch liner back then you need to do even more to protect it.