Author Topic: Quick confirmation Question  (Read 1007 times)

Offline JonLeeper

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 232
Quick confirmation Question
« on: 26 July 2010, 10:17 »
Well I was using the car yesturday, for the first time in a while, and noticed that the fan never cut in on the way to my fathers.  On the way back I got the coolent warning light imediately so stopped and the header tank was empty.  The top hose for the rad was very hot but the bottom hose was cold.  The radiator was also cold so I am thinking that the thermostat is knackered and is not opening causing the coolent in the engine to evaperate without ever running through the radiator.  The radiator never gets hot and thus the fan never needs to run.I have a new thermostat to fit, along with a water pump, when time allows and the oil temperature never rose above 98 degrees so i don't think that I have cooked the engine.

Does this sound correct?

Many thanks,

Jon

Offline madmanluke

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 821
Re: Quick confirmation Question
« Reply #1 on: 26 July 2010, 10:23 »
Does sound like you have a thermostat gone. Although you should not be loosing water because of it unless you hav a leak some where. My bet would be somewhere round the thermostat housing.

Offline rubjonny

  • 10k hero
  • *
  • Posts: 16,349
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
Re: Quick confirmation Question
« Reply #2 on: 26 July 2010, 10:37 »
buy a new thermostat plastic flange as well, chances are the old one will be warped
oh and test your new stat in some boiling water to make sure it opens
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline Diamond Hell

  • Serious forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 7,992
  • Opinions я Us
Re: Quick confirmation Question
« Reply #3 on: 26 July 2010, 11:59 »
If you're into the waterpump then you might want to do the cambelt, as you've got to release that to do the pump.

Could be knackered impeller on the waterpump - the plastic ones can shed blades.

You really need a jam thermometer or similar to test the stat - it just opening in boiling water isn't good enough - it should open at the temp specified on the stat.  Bring the pan up from cold to test it properly.
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.