GolfGTI
Forum Charity
Merchandise Shop
GolfGTIforum.co.uk
Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
GolfGTIforum.co.uk
»
Model specific boards
»
Golf mk2
»
De-coking pistons - tips please?
« previous
next »
Print
Pages: [
1
]
Author
Topic: De-coking pistons - tips please? (Read 1584 times)
jezza16v
I live here
Posts: 981
De-coking pistons - tips please?
«
on:
23 July 2010, 21:58 »
Hi all. I'm in the process of cleaning up the block and de-carbonising the pistons. I'm OK cleaning the top of the block as its hard steel but the pistons seem to be pretty soft alloy so I don't want to chew them up if I can help it.
Any good tips for cleaning the tops of the pistons without too much aggression would be much appreciated?
Logged
mwep201081
Here all the time
Posts: 356
Re: De-coking pistons - tips please?
«
Reply #1 on:
24 July 2010, 11:30 »
never tried it but I've heard that cola will clean off carbon build up....leave it soaking overnight and it breaks the carbon down....
much like it breaks your innards down when you drink it.....
If you try it, take some photos cause I wanna know if it works
Logged
CHRIS_MC
I live here
Posts: 574
GHETTO GHOLFER
Re: De-coking pistons - tips please?
«
Reply #2 on:
24 July 2010, 12:01 »
rough kitcken sponge & brake cleaner, i bought GUNK and soaked the whole top block of my MK4, then polished it
from this
to this
Logged
CHRIS_MC
I live here
Posts: 574
GHETTO GHOLFER
Re: De-coking pistons - tips please?
«
Reply #3 on:
24 July 2010, 12:05 »
i also set fire to the inlet manifold, similar to this, although i didnt have a blowtorch
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oet4qWeZuYA
Logged
danny_p
Forum addict
Posts: 4,644
Re: De-coking pistons - tips please?
«
Reply #4 on:
24 July 2010, 19:49 »
thats a diesel head you really ant to skim that or at least check it's flat
Logged
all the VW's have gone bar 1.
DarnPB
I live here
Posts: 1,958
Formerly Darnpistonbroke
Re: De-coking pistons - tips please?
«
Reply #5 on:
25 July 2010, 16:02 »
To de-coke pistons, course scotchbrite and petrol or diesel, and loads of elbow grease. If you are replacing the rings, use an old ring to clean out the grooves.
Never tried coca-cola, but feesable.
Logged
THE FORUMS NUMBER ONE ANTI-FOOTBALL FAN!!!
Print
Pages: [
1
]
« previous
next »
GolfGTIforum.co.uk
»
Model specific boards
»
Golf mk2
»
De-coking pistons - tips please?