Author Topic: Fuel gauge won't work!  (Read 1916 times)

Offline jocarl11

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 168
Fuel gauge won't work!
« on: 23 July 2010, 18:54 »
Hi guys, hoping someone can help with my fuel gauge not working? I have searched and found other threads on this subject but not with the info I need!
Basically my fuel gauge won't work at all, I have so far grounded the voilet wire on the sender side and there was no response at the gauge so I then bridged the violet and brown wires at the sender then tested for continuity at the fusebox and got it so can't be the wireing from the fusebox to sender, so I then took out the clocks and sent a bridge from the voilet wire on the plug to the outside nut on the fuel gauge and it shot up so the gauge works! So the problem must be between the gauge and the fusebox although I don't really know iwhere the wires go to from the plug on the clocks or if I have done all the tests I can?

Offline jocarl11

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 168
Re: Fuel gauge won't work!
« Reply #1 on: 23 July 2010, 18:57 »
Oh it's a mk2 golf gti 16v not a mk3 as my sig sujests! Must get that changed!

Offline X4MGS

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,564
  • VAG Parts SNOB!!!
Re: Fuel gauge won't work!
« Reply #2 on: 23 July 2010, 19:09 »
Fuse or relay or faulty clock console printed circuit...

 :smiley:

High Quality Chrome & Black Enamel Golf GTI Keyring's.
For More Info Click To See;
My Thread On Here  Or My Ebay Store!

Offline Wayne

  • Sir Postalot
  • *
  • Posts: 32,051
Re: Fuel gauge won't work!
« Reply #3 on: 23 July 2010, 19:38 »
Remove the plug from the sender and earth out, if it goes up it is a sender problem.

Offline jocarl11

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 168
Re: Fuel gauge won't work!
« Reply #4 on: 24 July 2010, 16:39 »
Fuse or relay or faulty clock console printed circuit...

 :smiley:
Anyone know which fuse/relay to check? I'm unsure where the wiring goes from the clocks to... Must be somewhere on the fusebox but is it on the same plug as where the wiring from the sender goes?

Offline jocarl11

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 168
Re: Fuel gauge won't work!
« Reply #5 on: 24 July 2010, 19:25 »
Ok I have sorted it!! It was a bad earth!