Author Topic: Recommendation for rear brakes...  (Read 1446 times)

Offline twistedblack69

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,047
  • Proud mk2 user and abuser
Recommendation for rear brakes...
« on: 22 July 2010, 17:07 »
Putting 256mm fronts on my 8v GTI, but the rears are shot and are going to need replacing too. On a bit of a budget, was going to go to GSF, but wanted to know if theres any discs/pads I should avoid. Also, am i going to need to adjust the bias valve (I'm assuming I have one) after putting bigger brakes on. I'm not entirely sure how the bias valve works and what it does, if you hadn't guessed lol

Offline The Mighty Elvi

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,403
  • I'm better than you today.
Re: Recommendation for rear brakes...
« Reply #1 on: 22 July 2010, 17:43 »
I recently picked up some new Brembo discs all round for my valver. No complaints so far.

Offline cняis

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,034
  • Know there's something burning over there...
Re: Recommendation for rear brakes...
« Reply #2 on: 22 July 2010, 18:24 »
the rears do naff all anyway so i wouldnt worry about avoiding any brands :afro:

You will have a bias valve if yours is an original GTI. there is a how-to somewhere about adjust the bias valve. However all it does is increase the rear braking performance when the rear is loaded up. Nothing to do with the performance of the fronts  :smiley: So youo can leave it well alone unless it's seized (should be picked up on MOT)


I don't think a semi will give the same results

Offline twistedblack69

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,047
  • Proud mk2 user and abuser
Re: Recommendation for rear brakes...
« Reply #3 on: 22 July 2010, 19:48 »
Cheers, guys

Chris, I did think it would be pointless forking out for high end discs and pads unless I was driving it like it was stolen which I don't do...often

Offline cняis

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,034
  • Know there's something burning over there...
Re: Recommendation for rear brakes...
« Reply #4 on: 22 July 2010, 20:48 »
Cheers, guys

Chris, I did think it would be pointless forking out for high end discs and pads unless I was driving it like it was stolen which I don't do...often

invest in a good front setup, possibly bigger master cylinder (do a search) and honestly dont worry about the rears  :smiley:


I don't think a semi will give the same results

Offline twistedblack69

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,047
  • Proud mk2 user and abuser
Re: Recommendation for rear brakes...
« Reply #5 on: 22 July 2010, 20:58 »
Well I just picked up a 16v front setup, was looking at getting a 22mm master cylinder, and when these pads and discs are shot (apparently only 6 months old) get some G60 carriers and calipers, and upgrade to 280mm

Speaking of MCs, will this fit on my Golf??

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-GOLF-MK2-GTI-23MM-BRAKE-MASTER-CYLINDER-9-SERVO-MK1-/390218669595?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5adad85e1b

Offline X4MGS

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,564
  • VAG Parts SNOB!!!
Re: Recommendation for rear brakes...
« Reply #6 on: 23 July 2010, 00:02 »
Are you fitting MK3 Rear Calipers??

I'm thinking of fitting a set of Audi S2 Girling Calipers & 280mm Discs to the front & Mk3's to the rears..

High Quality Chrome & Black Enamel Golf GTI Keyring's.
For More Info Click To See;
My Thread On Here  Or My Ebay Store!

Offline spacerat

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 218
Re: Recommendation for rear brakes...
« Reply #7 on: 23 July 2010, 08:17 »
I went the mk4 caliper route.  all this involved was a pair of calipers and some goodridge hoses from POTN for £30.  cant really say there was any improvement but it saves on the hassle of the famous mk2 rear caliper seizure,  discs and pads remain as standard.