Author Topic: Flywheel removal  (Read 1506 times)

Offline emery1990

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,196
Flywheel removal
« on: 20 July 2010, 12:12 »
Ive looked in haynes manual and its very vague, basically says take off clutch undo bolts renew bolts.

Is there anyother guide thats a bit more detailed in taking it out? I want it out as i want to get it lightened?

finally bought a starter motor aswell so might as well take the flywheel out whilst the cars up.

Offline russ-vdub

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,350
  • Once a Dub, Always a Dub
Re: Flywheel removal
« Reply #1 on: 20 July 2010, 13:00 »
Its as simple as that. Have you actually tried doing it yet?

Offline emery1990

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,196
Re: Flywheel removal
« Reply #2 on: 20 July 2010, 13:09 »
Not yet no, havnt got the starter motor yet, its just been ordered, but just that haynes misses out points sometimes like putting a jack and wood underneath the engine when swapping the starter motor etc.

I thought removing the clutch was a technical job. Still haynes still do seem pretty vague though.

Offline rubjonny

  • 10k hero
  • *
  • Posts: 16,349
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
Re: Flywheel removal
« Reply #3 on: 20 July 2010, 13:53 »
have a look on clubgti there is a great guide on removing the gearbox. then its a case of undoing flywheel and pp bolts etc, not too bad. heres a tip for locking the pp to crack looser the bolts, and a link to the bentley which has some handy info:

http://www.brokevw.com/pic%20036ws.jpg

http://www.oneilcastro.com/A2Bentley/TM01/ch5.2.html
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline emery1990

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,196
Re: Flywheel removal
« Reply #4 on: 20 July 2010, 14:52 »
Thanks, less than two hours!, will probably take me a whole day!

Offline rubjonny

  • 10k hero
  • *
  • Posts: 16,349
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
Re: Flywheel removal
« Reply #5 on: 20 July 2010, 15:00 »
yeah maybe the 2nd time you try it takes less than 2 hours  :grin:
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline emery1990

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,196
Re: Flywheel removal
« Reply #6 on: 20 July 2010, 15:02 »
Hopefully ill remember to put the flywheel back in so i dont ever need to do it again!

Offline russ-vdub

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,350
  • Once a Dub, Always a Dub
Re: Flywheel removal
« Reply #7 on: 20 July 2010, 16:43 »
Oh and while you're at it get the crank and pistons balanced to.. Worth it imo, makes the engine proper smooth. One of my pistons was like 6grams heavier than the rest!

Offline emery1990

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,196
Re: Flywheel removal
« Reply #8 on: 20 July 2010, 21:19 »
I may do that next year or something, think my engines on 130k miles atm so may give it a new build! I stupidly bought the car without a service book and the new engine also did not have a service book it lol. loads of receipts though. menaged to get the car started and warmed up today, didnt notice anything odd apart from the rear wheel, there was a scrapping noise coming from it, as if the pads where slighty touching the discs.