Author Topic: Some mk2 Questions  (Read 3830 times)

Offline Jimp

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,321
Some mk2 Questions
« on: 19 July 2010, 16:43 »
As much as I love all things mk3, I've been very very tempted by a mk2 lately. They look too damn good, even as stock  :grin: I'd be looking at selling the Vento and getting a 1.3 or 1.6 driver since I can't afford the tax on a GTI. I have a few questions though:
What non-cosmetic differences are there between 80s and 90s spec? I saw wiring differences mentioned in another thread and wanted to ask since I thought there were only cosmetic differences.
Was ABS only available on GTI models?
I've seen threads mentioning wide track conversions. What is this? I gather it's something to do with wider subframes than normal. What are the benefits or downsides of this?
How are mk2s for rust? Any commonly rusted spots? Are they are bad as mk3s for rust?  :grin: :wink:
If I think of any more questions I'll keep them in this thread.
Thanks in advance  :smiley:
Not low enough mk5
Not on the road enough mk3

Offline Agreeable Slick

  • Global Moderator
  • Serious forum addict
  • *****
  • Posts: 7,066
  • Unit
Re: Some mk2 Questions
« Reply #1 on: 19 July 2010, 18:34 »
I'll keep this open for now, but please use the search function.

Offline cняis

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,034
  • Know there's something burning over there...
Re: Some mk2 Questions
« Reply #2 on: 19 July 2010, 19:12 »
 :nerd:

ealry mk2s had more slats on the front grill plus static quarter glass in the front doors. These changed to full wind down windows in about 86. Also the wing mirrors moved further down the door.

90 spec GTIs got big bumpers, side skirts and thinner bump strips on the doors. Drivers stayed the same as their pre-90 counterparts.

90 spec wiring affected all models. easy way to tell is the position of the hazard switch. on dash = CE1 early type. On steering column = CE2 (later wiring)

90 spec front seats are slightly different design too (the bolsters are a different shape IIRC)

No models had ABS as standard IIRC, nor PAS/elec windows/central locking etc

WIdetrack is usually acheived by using a mk3 front subframe inc the brakes and hubs (5 stud conversion if taken from a mk3GTI or VR6). The rear subframe can also be used for a slightly wider rear.

Mk2s dont often have rust issues but common places are around the fuel filler cap, rear boot plinth (behind the number plate) and under the rear bumper. I have seen mk2s with really rusty sills so check under there aswell. But usually they dont rust anywhere near as badly as the mk3!!


I don't think a semi will give the same results

Offline rubjonny

  • 10k hero
  • *
  • Posts: 16,349
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
Re: Some mk2 Questions
« Reply #3 on: 20 July 2010, 10:02 »
widetrack comes from using mk3 or passat wishbones, the subframe isnt actually wider ;)
you can go widetrack in 4 or 5 stud, use the right bearing carrier setup and match the wishbones to suit. not all mk3 rear beams are wider, it seems its only the early 4 strud ones that are, later 4 stud and 5stud are about the same. good faq thread on this on cgti
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline Jimp

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,321
Re: Some mk2 Questions
« Reply #4 on: 20 July 2010, 19:13 »
Thanks for the info :afro: Apologies Slick, I'll search harder next time  :embarassed:
Not low enough mk5
Not on the road enough mk3

Offline dan_apps

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,677
  • too low for british roads!
Re: Some mk2 Questions
« Reply #5 on: 22 July 2010, 22:21 »

Mk2s dont often have rust issues


:lipsrsealed:

and ABS!!! crikey jimp ur hoping matey! :grin:


Offline cняis

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,034
  • Know there's something burning over there...
Re: Some mk2 Questions
« Reply #6 on: 23 July 2010, 00:33 »

Mk2s dont often have rust issues


:lipsrsealed:

and ABS!!! crikey jimp ur hoping matey! :grin:



abs is for wimps who cant drive. as with air bags.  :rolleyes:


I don't think a semi will give the same results

Offline bodga

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 339
  • F reg GTI 16v
Re: Some mk2 Questions
« Reply #7 on: 23 July 2010, 08:04 »


abs is for wimps who cant drive. as with air bags.  :rolleyes:
[/quote]

 :grin: i dont take mine out if its raining because of this, my right foot is too heavy :laugh:

Offline Jimp

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,321
Re: Some mk2 Questions
« Reply #8 on: 23 July 2010, 18:02 »
Yeah I was a bit hopeful with the ABS  :grin: My Vento doesn't have ABS but mk3 GTIs got it so was wondering if mk2s were the same, standard on GTIs but optional on other models.
Not low enough mk5
Not on the road enough mk3

Offline Alec

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 844
Re: Some mk2 Questions
« Reply #9 on: 23 July 2010, 18:11 »
Don't G60 mk2's have ABS?

If you look hard enough man you will find a mk2 with no rust, majority of rust on mk2's seems to be cosmetic but obviously it depends how much they have been looked after.