Author Topic: Exhaust manifold studs/bolts  (Read 7586 times)

Offline jezza16v

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 981
Exhaust manifold studs/bolts
« on: 19 July 2010, 13:37 »
Anyone tried these?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-Mk1-Mk2-Golf-Rabbit-Stnls-Exhaust-Studs-Lock-Nuts-/380237441045?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5887eae815

We have the head off and a couple of exhaust manifold studs are missing, might as well replace the lot while its accessible.

Offline mwep201081

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 356
Re: Exhaust manifold studs/bolts
« Reply #1 on: 19 July 2010, 16:57 »
Look ok but I'd be inclined to put some meas or loctite on the thread going into the head.

Offline danny_p

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 4,644
Re: Exhaust manifold studs/bolts
« Reply #2 on: 19 July 2010, 17:45 »
stainless exhaust studs,  ummmmm no thanks.      i'll stick with steel and copper peened nuts
all the VW's have gone bar 1.

Offline AudiA8Quattro

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 4,777
Re: Exhaust manifold studs/bolts
« Reply #3 on: 19 July 2010, 21:21 »
Why?
FOR DIY GUIDES GO TO <br>www.volkswagenaudi.co.uk<br/>BRAKES, SUSPENSION, CV JOINTS

Offline danny_p

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 4,644
Re: Exhaust manifold studs/bolts
« Reply #4 on: 20 July 2010, 00:47 »
stainless bolts are barstewards for self loosening,  and its very unusual to get a grade as strong or tough as there steel counterparts. so they shear/snap easyer. the advantage is there going to undo easyer  10 yrs

but i've had manifolds on other cars snap studs off before and its a pain in the hole.    stock maniolds never had a problem with but some aftermarket stuff where all the holes have been quite tight to the studs have caused problems

all the VW's have gone bar 1.

Offline AudiA8Quattro

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 4,777
Re: Exhaust manifold studs/bolts
« Reply #5 on: 21 July 2010, 00:07 »
I would of thought stainless steel would be better as the fixings won't seize, so won't snap.
FOR DIY GUIDES GO TO <br>www.volkswagenaudi.co.uk<br/>BRAKES, SUSPENSION, CV JOINTS

Offline jezza16v

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 981
Re: Exhaust manifold studs/bolts
« Reply #6 on: 21 July 2010, 08:35 »
Now I'm really confused........  :undecided:

Offline rubjonny

  • 10k hero
  • *
  • Posts: 16,349
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
Re: Exhaust manifold studs/bolts
« Reply #7 on: 21 July 2010, 09:31 »
just get copper ones from GSF, cheap and they work :)
I doubt you would own the car long enough for you to worry about any possible seizing issues, whenever I have come back to my copper nuts they have undone fine. although i haven't tended to leave an engine in for longer than a year so far  :grin:
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline AudiA8Quattro

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 4,777
Re: Exhaust manifold studs/bolts
« Reply #8 on: 21 July 2010, 12:25 »
Will copper not go soft and break up?
FOR DIY GUIDES GO TO <br>www.volkswagenaudi.co.uk<br/>BRAKES, SUSPENSION, CV JOINTS

Offline AudiA8Quattro

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 4,777
Re: Exhaust manifold studs/bolts
« Reply #9 on: 21 July 2010, 12:43 »
Now I'm really confused........  :undecided:

Personally i'd go with stainless steel. Especially if you are keeping the car.
FOR DIY GUIDES GO TO <br>www.volkswagenaudi.co.uk<br/>BRAKES, SUSPENSION, CV JOINTS