Author Topic: ABF 2.0 woohoo!  (Read 29755 times)

Offline Harooshum

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 148
ABF 2.0 woohoo!
« on: 17 July 2010, 23:37 »
Ok so i bought my ABF, looks ok, and before anyone asks yes i have been searching this forum.  The bloke went over a few pointers for me to note when doing the job.

Conflicting statements:  He has assured me the original KR inlet manifold, fuel system, ECU, loom will be fine for me to put this ABF lump in.  Only things to take of the KR and put onto the ABF are the crank pulley, and a round thing on the right side (gearbox side) where a brown-colored plug will plug into, and also that i dont need modified engine mounts - KR ones are fine BUT the exhaust manifold will be higher and pull the downpipe too high and might touch the bulkhead at the bottom.  He said there is a way to extend this to reach properly and avoid an expensive new manifold.

Can I confirm this with you guys as my research is giving me mixed responses.  Original car is an oak green 16v 1990.

Much appreciated guys.

Offline Diamond Hell

  • Serious forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 7,992
  • Opinions я Us
Re: ABF 2.0 woohoo!
« Reply #1 on: 17 July 2010, 23:42 »
Only a complete kn0b would fit an ABF with k-Jet mechanical injection.

An ABF comes with electronic management, which should stay on it to provide protection and reliable running.

Your vendor appears to have suggested fitting an ABF with KR mechanical injection (or 'fuel misting' as it should really be referred to as)

Ergo your vendor was a kn0b.
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline Harooshum

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 148
Re: ABF 2.0 woohoo!
« Reply #2 on: 18 July 2010, 00:12 »
B0ll0cks! Don't tell me that, coz I don't have it! Now where am i gone find an ABF fuel system on a budget?

Thanks for your reply, what about the other things he's told me?

Offline oakgreengolf

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,304
  • CAR FOR SALE PM FOR FURTHER INFO
Re: ABF 2.0 woohoo!
« Reply #3 on: 18 July 2010, 08:00 »
When I did this job I bought the entire car much easier this way. You are going to need the ecu, wiring loom and transponder for the imobiliser. Being a 90 spec the wiring is plug and play so not a major job to fit either. As DH said the whole point of an abf is to run it on proper digi management so you don't have the anoying KR fueling issues.

Offline Harooshum

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 148
Re: ABF 2.0 woohoo!
« Reply #4 on: 18 July 2010, 09:48 »
I am not very happy. I assumed it will be ok. Typing mk2 abf k-jet into YouTube brings up a few vids. I might just sell this abf an hunt down a 9a

Offline tony_ack

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 757
Re: ABF 2.0 woohoo!
« Reply #5 on: 18 July 2010, 10:24 »
I am not very happy. I assumed it will be ok. Typing mk2 abf k-jet into YouTube brings up a few vids. I might just sell this abf an hunt down a 9a

You can still use the k-jet with an ABF, it's just as already mentioned it's not the best option. The k-jet is a pig to get running right a the best of times, and electronic management would make things so much easier.

I don't really see a lot of point of selling the ABF to get a 9a just so you can run it on k-jet - other than to give someone else a chance to run that ABF engine on Digi3.

1992 VW Golf MK2 GTI
1995 VW Corrado VR6

Offline cняis

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,034
  • Know there's something burning over there...
Re: ABF 2.0 woohoo!
« Reply #6 on: 18 July 2010, 13:09 »
I am not very happy. I assumed it will be ok. Typing mk2 abf k-jet into YouTube brings up a few vids. I might just sell this abf an hunt down a 9a

You can still use the k-jet with an ABF, it's just as already mentioned it's not the best option. The k-jet is a pig to get running right a the best of times, and electronic management would make things so much easier.

I don't really see a lot of point of selling the ABF to get a 9a just so you can run it on k-jet - other than to give someone else a chance to run that ABF engine on Digi3.



this guys wants an ABF lump

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=160856.0


I don't think a semi will give the same results

Offline Wayne

  • Sir Postalot
  • *
  • Posts: 32,051
Re: ABF 2.0 woohoo!
« Reply #7 on: 18 July 2010, 15:03 »
I am not very happy. I assumed it will be ok. Typing mk2 abf k-jet into YouTube brings up a few vids. I might just sell this abf an hunt down a 9a

You can still use the k-jet with an ABF, it's just as already mentioned it's not the best option. The k-jet is a pig to get running right a the best of times, and electronic management would make things so much easier.

I don't really see a lot of point of selling the ABF to get a 9a just so you can run it on k-jet - other than to give someone else a chance to run that ABF engine on Digi3.



+1 k jet will work but it is not the best option.

VeeDubGTI16v

  • Guest
Re: ABF 2.0 woohoo!
« Reply #8 on: 19 July 2010, 10:14 »
see, this is what happens if you shout the same crap over and over again, people start to believe you  :rolleyes:


Offline Harooshum

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 148
Re: ABF 2.0 woohoo!
« Reply #9 on: 19 July 2010, 13:27 »
see, this is what happens if you shout the same crap over and over again, people start to believe you  :rolleyes:



what do u mean?

Hi lads I have been thinking about this hard, and I even spoke to TSR for advice, it would appear that apart from setting up the k-jet to work on ABF (to my suprise on the internet there are many guides and how-to's) and setting it uip initially, it would actually be ok as I dont think I can get and properly install ABF electronic management within my budget.  TSR also say that when they do this SAME conversion they keep the k-jet intact.

I hear about the k-jet needing re-tuning after time - but isnt that ok live with?

When I get started on this project I will put up pics etc (maybe start a thread in the projects section).  Can I confirm that with regards to servicing etc everything is the same as KR like coolant, oil, gaskets, belts?  I am compiling a list of parts such as inlet & exhaust gaskets, timing belt (maybe different as taller block?) etc...

Can anyone name me a good engineering company because I want to have the flywheel lightened and balanced.

Thanks so much again for your input, again.  h.