Author Topic: No power to Fuel Pump Fuse  (Read 3421 times)

Offline warnesey333

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 660
No power to Fuel Pump Fuse
« on: 15 July 2010, 21:16 »
So putting my car back together after a full rebuild,

What could cause no power going to the fuel pump fuse?

There's a black wire near the coil which isn't plugged in (as the other 12v is plugged into the coil for power and the twin bridge for the earth is plugged in).

Could the dash not being in stop power to the fuel pump?

It's really irritating that after all this time rebuilding the engine, the fuel pump/power is stopping it working....but a new challenge is always fun!

Ta,
Jack

Offline rubjonny

  • 10k hero
  • *
  • Posts: 16,349
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
Re: No power to Fuel Pump Fuse
« Reply #1 on: 16 July 2010, 09:29 »
plug that black wire in, there should be at least 2 black wires to the coil. 1 wire is rthe ign live feed to the coil the 2nd black wire supplies power to the TCI unit, and also the ECU if its a 16v.
if its an 8v k-jet, the fuel pump gets a signal from the coil, so if the coil isnt being powered up due to the main ign live being unplugged, or if the TCI unit wasnt getting power that would explain it ;)
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline warnesey333

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 660
Re: No power to Fuel Pump Fuse
« Reply #2 on: 16 July 2010, 10:29 »
Thanks a lot jonny. Will try that monday.

Had a quick look behind the relay and there are no wires in or out of it.

Offline rubjonny

  • 10k hero
  • *
  • Posts: 16,349
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
Re: No power to Fuel Pump Fuse
« Reply #3 on: 16 July 2010, 10:39 »
the fuel pump relay should be plugged directly into the fusebox?
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline warnesey333

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 660
Re: No power to Fuel Pump Fuse
« Reply #4 on: 16 July 2010, 11:13 »
Yeh it is, am i wrong in thinking there should be wires into the back of the fusebox in the same position? Or does it not work like that?

Cheers

Offline rubjonny

  • 10k hero
  • *
  • Posts: 16,349
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
Re: No power to Fuel Pump Fuse
« Reply #5 on: 16 July 2010, 11:17 »
no it doesnt work like that, the contacts inside the fusebox go all over the place before they get to the back. seen a pic of one split open, think of a big pile of brass spaghetti and you wont be far off :grin:
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline warnesey333

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 660
Re: No power to Fuel Pump Fuse
« Reply #6 on: 16 July 2010, 11:34 »
Wow thats annoying lol ill get that black plugged in Monday morning and try again, cheers jonny

Offline warnesey333

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 660
Re: No power to Fuel Pump Fuse
« Reply #7 on: 19 July 2010, 10:31 »
Hmm, plugged the 2nd black cable in and nothing...

Ive also changed the fuel pump relay without success.

The unit above the ecu box gets power, the coil gets 12v, the hall sender gets power, but the fuel pump fuse does not.

Btw, 8v k-jet

Offline warnesey333

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 660
Re: No power to Fuel Pump Fuse
« Reply #8 on: 19 July 2010, 11:16 »
Well, found I had cut the fuel pump power line from plug E number 14 on the back of the relay box.

Rejoined, but that doesn't solve the problem as the power doesn't get to e14 in the first place.


Offline rubjonny

  • 10k hero
  • *
  • Posts: 16,349
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
Re: No power to Fuel Pump Fuse
« Reply #9 on: 19 July 2010, 11:52 »
first check fuel pump fuse #5, if thats ok bridge the 2 large contacts on the fuel pump relay socket with some thick wire. if pump runs you know its relay or wiring issue.  make sure you have the correct relay as well, 67, 80 and 167 relays will not work on a k-jet.  GSF sell the relay you need:
935VG0090 - k-jet relay - £ 23.20
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.