Author Topic: k-star (box) ?  (Read 3418 times)

Offline boxer1968

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 213
k-star (box) ?
« on: 05 July 2010, 21:30 »
hi
been playing around on my project car 16v j-plate today was going about changing bulkhead plastic long cover for the one in my donor car and found this


should i bin it or fit it to the project car ? is it worth fitting or could it cause problems tried looking up on net says its great for a 8v but for a 16v ? its seems to be fitted to warm up regulator and ignition system if posted in wrong section please move

Offline dragonfly

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,110
Re: k-star (box) ?
« Reply #1 on: 05 July 2010, 21:33 »
I have a k-star on my 16v and it works fine. Think one of the guys at Stealth knows something about setting them up.


Offline emery1990

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,196
Re: k-star (box) ?
« Reply #2 on: 05 July 2010, 21:37 »
Whatd oes k-start do again? is it an ecu ?

Offline danny_p

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 4,644
Re: k-star (box) ?
« Reply #3 on: 06 July 2010, 00:13 »
it's a strap on
all the VW's have gone bar 1.

Offline Sam

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,186
  • Sam I am
Re: k-star (box) ?
« Reply #4 on: 06 July 2010, 00:33 »
oi oi danny p!

Its a 'piggy back' unit that tells your ecu what to do. I have one on my golf to do the uber turbo coolness and yer, i think vince is pretty much the only person in the entire country who can help you, he is at stealth racing


The entire world is a Money Pit, you just have to pick yours.

Offline rubjonny

  • 10k hero
  • *
  • Posts: 16,349
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
Re: k-star (box) ?
« Reply #5 on: 06 July 2010, 09:12 »
make good money on ebay those do, but if  you're keeping the k-jet its worth having as its the only way to remap the ignition and fueling properly
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline Diamond Hell

  • Serious forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 7,992
  • Opinions я Us
Re: k-star (box) ?
« Reply #6 on: 06 July 2010, 13:00 »
its the only way to remap the ignition and fueling properly

How does it 'remap' the fueling?
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline rubjonny

  • 10k hero
  • *
  • Posts: 16,349
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
Re: k-star (box) ?
« Reply #7 on: 06 July 2010, 13:05 »
with the thingy on the WUR fuel line, unlike the spark only version this version of the k-star ecu can also change the control pressure and thus the fueling
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline Horney

  • 10k hero
  • *
  • Posts: 10,782
  • Racing, Trackdays, Starwars.
Re: k-star (box) ?
« Reply #8 on: 06 July 2010, 13:08 »
I think it works in a similar way to my Racelogic V-Sam system in that it runs an extra injetor that can be mapped to provide extra fuel at any given RPM. Combined with being able to alter the ignition advance curve it's a pretty good way of fine tuning the K-Jet system for performance. It's not much cop by modern standards but it's better than nothing.

Nick

Offline rubjonny

  • 10k hero
  • *
  • Posts: 16,349
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
Re: k-star (box) ?
« Reply #9 on: 06 July 2010, 13:17 »
after a bit of googling i found a better description of it from a saab forum:
Quote
Just to clear things up, the K-Star normally controls fuelling by installing a bleed-off injector across the control pressure regulator, as I was still having lean problems even with this valve fully closed I installed the extra injector which used this same circuit, therefore making this valve redundant! I just had to get the K-Star re-programmed to fire/map the injector.

this is only on the more advanced k-star+fuel systems though, there are spark only versions of it that can only do the ignition.
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.