Author Topic: AP coilovers - first impressions  (Read 3782 times)

Offline drapergti

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 254
AP coilovers - first impressions
« on: 03 July 2010, 15:54 »
Hi everyone, just returned from AMD Essex after having my new coilovers fitted. First impressions are very good, The original shocks were about a year old so I can compare new with fairly new. I was very nervous about fitting coilovers instead of shocks and springs and true the their word the AP coilovers are in no way harsh at all, In fact the ride is better, the car looks much better aswell and is not too low.

I chose these based on these requirements

Must retain comfort
Must keep the car looking fairly standard
Upper end of the "budget" spectrum

I'll post some pics up later


Offline rob.043

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 496
Re: AP coilovers - first impressions
« Reply #1 on: 03 July 2010, 21:47 »
Interesting stuff. So have you increased the ride height over your previous shock/spring arrangement, has this introduced a noticable increase in body roll? Any estimate on the before and after drop?

Im looking into changing the springs on my bilstein shocks, the car as i got it has about a 60mm drop (from a standard golf- so 40mm from the GTi 8v standard height on my car), and im looking at eibach springs to change to a 40mm drop. Hoping to add a bit of comfort- tho the handling seems fantastic just now!

Shopping around for springs etc, I've come to notice the complete lack of any technical specs allowing you to compare anything! No spring rates/ damping rates etc. All you seem to get is blurb about every product providing superior dynamics to your pants. We need numbers! Its so difficult to determine anything about potential ride, without an expensive course in trial and error....

And how can a kit sold to fit a 1.3 car be sold for use on a GTi- the curb weights vary so much! Its a crazy world.

Offline drapergti

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 254
Re: AP coilovers - first impressions
« Reply #2 on: 03 July 2010, 22:02 »
It is lower than previously about 315mm from centre of the hub to the top of the wheel arch and will settle further and are at their highest I think.

There are lots of good threads on this subject, but wanted to add my impressions as AP Coilovers have not been covered in terms of experiences from my searches.

I'm in no way an expert on these matters, hence getting these fitted by AMD. The AP's are similar to Weitec's as has been mentioned in the past but I am told the dampers are not quite as uprated.

It suits me as I have swopped shocks over before and hated the extra harshness, but these seem great :cool:.

Offline X4MGS

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,564
  • VAG Parts SNOB!!!
Re: AP coilovers - first impressions
« Reply #3 on: 04 July 2010, 13:27 »

Im looking into changing the springs on my bilstein shocks, the car as i got it has about a 60mm drop (from a standard golf- so 40mm from the GTi 8v standard height on my car), and im looking at eibach springs to change to a 40mm drop. Hoping to add a bit of comfort- tho the handling seems fantastic just now!

I have fitted Eibach springs (30mm Drop over std 8v settings) with Boge turbo shocks & and they are great for everyday driving.. I did think about coil-overs but everyone I spoke to said they would give a much harder ride, which is great for track days and smooth roads, but being in Sheffield where the roads are truly awful I opted for the above option and I am very impressed...

HTH

High Quality Chrome & Black Enamel Golf GTI Keyring's.
For More Info Click To See;
My Thread On Here  Or My Ebay Store!

Offline dan_apps

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,677
  • too low for british roads!
Re: AP coilovers - first impressions
« Reply #4 on: 04 July 2010, 20:07 »
i have AP coilovers, am sure i put a thread up covering this to help others :undecided:


:edit: nah..briefly covered it in the dubrides section when i fitted them! great for the price imo :afro:

Offline drapergti

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 254
Re: AP coilovers - first impressions
« Reply #5 on: 04 July 2010, 21:42 »
i have AP coilovers, am sure i put a thread up covering this to help others :undecided:


:edit: nah..briefly covered it in the dubrides section when i fitted them! great for the price imo :afro:

I missed that one, but I am glad you agree, thought it worth sharing my experience.  :smiley: