Author Topic: You really do s**t your pants when ...  (Read 8080 times)

Offline Ben Lessani

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,873
  • The poor mans MK2 Haynes author
You really do s**t your pants when ...
« on: 28 June 2010, 19:56 »
... you hear something rattle off the floorpan at 50 mph which sounds decidedly 'bolt like'.

If you've never been there, then thank yourself lucky, if you have - then you know how I feel!

This is the second time I've had the unfortunate luck of a bolt firing loose from the engine bay and bouncing between the floorpan and ground on its way out.

I pulled over immediately, had a scoot about, nothing looked out of the ordinary, went to pull away and you could feel the engine kick HARD. So I the 100 metres left to the house (as I couldn't bare calling AA to be flat-bedded 100 metres!) and had a better look ...

... spot what's missing :lipsrsealed:


Offline JC

  • 10k hero
  • *
  • Posts: 13,393
  • Back in the North.
Re: You really do s**t your pants when ...
« Reply #1 on: 28 June 2010, 19:59 »
8 valves  :tongue:

Offline jezza16v

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 981
Re: You really do s**t your pants when ...
« Reply #2 on: 28 June 2010, 20:02 »
That'll be bolt off the top of the front engine mount then?

Offline Diamond Hell

  • Serious forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 7,992
  • Opinions я Us
Re: You really do s**t your pants when ...
« Reply #3 on: 28 June 2010, 20:04 »
A proper injection system?
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline cняis

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,034
  • Know there's something burning over there...
Re: You really do s**t your pants when ...
« Reply #4 on: 28 June 2010, 20:08 »
front engine mount went kapput!

had something bounce underneath the car hitting the floorpan t'other day - broken exhaust mount!


I don't think a semi will give the same results

Offline Ben Lessani

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,873
  • The poor mans MK2 Haynes author
Re: You really do s**t your pants when ...
« Reply #5 on: 28 June 2010, 20:28 »
Stupid front engine mount.

I managed to find the bolt - it was intact, which means the threads on the aluminium front mount have gone.

So looks like I'll be drilling up to a larger size and adding a helicoil of some description.

Offline fishnchipsx2

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 356
Re: You really do s**t your pants when ...
« Reply #6 on: 28 June 2010, 20:41 »
Niiiice

My alternator hinge-bolt worked it's way loose at 90mph once, that made a good BANG bouncing off the floorpan.

I was in a similar situation to you - was less than a mile from home, so carried on with a squealing belt  :drool:

Offline cняis

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,034
  • Know there's something burning over there...
Re: You really do s**t your pants when ...
« Reply #7 on: 28 June 2010, 21:15 »
time for a new solid front mount methinks!!


I don't think a semi will give the same results

Offline Neo Badness

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,780
  • Feet are for pedals
Re: You really do s**t your pants when ...
« Reply #8 on: 28 June 2010, 21:33 »

Aye, better than the engine trying to backflips in the bay.

You really do find out that adrenalin is brown when stuff like that happens.

Good it was nice weather and you were only 100m from home though.

You don't own a Mk2, you support it.

Offline Alec

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 844
Re: You really do s**t your pants when ...
« Reply #9 on: 29 June 2010, 01:41 »
I had a headlamp do that  :grin: