Author Topic: Spark plug removal  (Read 1440 times)

Offline The Mighty Elvi

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,403
  • I'm better than you today.
Spark plug removal
« on: 23 June 2010, 16:10 »
Gonna change the plugs on my Valver, but never done it on one before...they're pretty deep in there.

1. What diameter are the plugs in mm?
2. What length spark plug socket will i need to get them out?

thanks


Offline jamie_pyrite

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 901
Re: Spark plug removal
« Reply #1 on: 23 June 2010, 17:37 »
At a guess, theyre 17mm.. but spark plug sockets have a rubber insert which grips to help pull them out. You'll need an extension bar too to reach it!

Offline clipperjay

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,148
Re: Spark plug removal
« Reply #2 on: 23 June 2010, 18:34 »
Just be carefull with the new plug threads as the head is Alu you can cross feed the thread and screw up the thread pattern. Trust me I've seen people do it on 8V and 16V :lipsrsealed:

Offline Neo Badness

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,780
  • Feet are for pedals
Re: Spark plug removal
« Reply #3 on: 24 June 2010, 12:56 »
I got a brilliant tool from D&A motofactors, sold elsewhere too. It's shaped like a T and comes with couple of different sockets and is magnetic.

 Run the car up to temp then remove spark plugs when warm it's easier to remove them as thread expands slightly.
When replacing them put plugs on spin them counter clockwise and you'll feel the drop into the thread, this stops you cross threading the plug.

You don't own a Mk2, you support it.

Offline The Mighty Elvi

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,403
  • I'm better than you today.
Re: Spark plug removal
« Reply #4 on: 24 June 2010, 23:26 »
FYI they're 14mm

Offline Neo Badness

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,780
  • Feet are for pedals
Re: Spark plug removal
« Reply #5 on: 25 June 2010, 00:06 »
Something like this but you shouldn't pay 20.00, maybe more like 8.00. Also if you have a choice of two, go for the longer one as they really are buried in the block on the 16v.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Sealey-Spark-Plug-Lead-Tool-VAG-VS5293-/110453709945?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item19b78ddc79

You don't own a Mk2, you support it.