Author Topic: What can be done to spice up a small bumper 8v digi? - again - sorry...  (Read 1972 times)

Offline jezza16v

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 981
Sorry to bring this up yet again but after spending a couple of hours seaching on the topic last night my head is spinning, 2L bottom, mk3 16v conversion, VR6, 20VT.......too much to take in for me?
We're in the process of taking the engine out of my son's 8v (180k mls) to do the HG, tidy up the engine bay, do master cylinder, heater matrix and much more just to bring it right up to 100%, I guess we should change the clutch while its out as well.
The existing engine is fine really, runs well doesn't use much oil and isn't smokey, just a local failure of the HG on no 1 cylinder.
Now I'm just for getting it sorted to standard and getting it back on the road but as the engine is coming out and coming apart he wants to try to pep it up a bit before we put it back together. He'd like to do a VR6 conversion but from what I've read the parts list is pretty extensive, I just wonder what will go in using the existing subframe without being too heavy on the electrical side, or what can you do to the standard engine? Not much from what I read, what does a flowed head, hotter cam and 4 branch manifold get you? 2L conversion seems quite doable but which block goes straight in and where would you get one? tall block? WTF? He's a VW/Ford technician so not afraid of anything really..............but I am and I'd like my garage back before Xmas!  :undecided:  :rolleyes:  :laugh:

Offline russ-vdub

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,350
  • Once a Dub, Always a Dub
Budget seems to be a factor. How much you got to spend is the first question?

Offline jezza16v

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 981
The budget is not too tight, I guess about £500-£600 just for the engine mods but could be more if the returns are worthwhile as I suspect I'll end up paying for most of it. Haven't really got the space to be storing donor cars or the like though.

Offline DarnPB

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,958
  • Formerly Darnpistonbroke
I would stick to what you have there and just do some old fashioned tuning. You can up the C/R by taking some off the head and then do some minor porting to increase gas flow efficiency.
Pop in a 'bit more than a shopping' camshaft, something like a 268 degree or similar.
Tubular manifold and jetex exhaust will do well with the above mods too, then complete the job with a decent air filter.
This little lot will not necassarily boost your BHP by staggering amounts, but will give you a crisper engine, a nice note and noticeably more 'feel' power.
This should keep you within budget as long as the fettling work is done by you.


THE FORUMS NUMBER ONE ANTI-FOOTBALL FAN!!!

Offline jezza16v

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 981
Sounds good to me and not too difficult, I'm guessing it won't be enough though. The head is due for skimming following HG failure, how much can you take off before the knock sensor can't cope I wonder?

Offline russ-vdub

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,350
  • Once a Dub, Always a Dub
It sounds like you want it be a lot quicker so the only real answer is an ABF 2l 16v jobby. If I were you tho i'd give the bottom end an overhaul and replace all the rings and big ends etc so you know that bit is 100% before fitting it. Head work can be done with the engine in so not so crucial.

Offline nealey

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,062
my mates makes 135bhp (although its going for more work tomorrow) thats running a 2.0l bottom end (2e code) ported and polished head with bigger valves, kent gsh1 cam, hottuning manifold and a remap at stealth racing. Also has a lightened and balanced flywheel on it

tomorrow its going to have a vernier pulley fitted and a final map tweak

He sourced all the parts and we put the engine together on a stand in his dads shed in an afternoon

Offline danny_p

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 4,644
for the 8v

while the heads off  pop all the valves out.    do a light porting job   ( clean up the casting ) and if your feeling braver have a play with the short side radios of the port.    then have new valve guids put in and trim them off flush with the wall of the port.   get the seats tri cut ( biggest easy gain )   and if you can get the valves swirl polished.    that littel lot shouldn't cost much and will give you a reasonable gain for not much. add a cam and 2ltr bottom end

or just drop a 16v in if you want over 150 bhp

all the VW's have gone bar 1.

Offline jezza16v

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 981
Sorted!..........The traitor went out today and bought a Jordan Honda Civic.............. :shocked:
The mk2 is now left in bits in my garage to be sorted and put back to standard.......Who knows when though?  :laugh: