Author Topic: GTI MK6 - Faults/Rattles/Squeeks etc  (Read 109977 times)

Offline mkviken

• I live here
Re: GTI MK6 - Faults/Rattles/Squeeks etc
« Reply #330 on: 18 July 2012, 21:04 »
You would think with the mods you would have sharpened it up nicely and made it an enjoyable drive, has to be said though for all their faults the French do make a great chassis if it's pure driving thrills your after :cool:

grip and stability are excellent as is ride and body control (bilsteins are excellent) but the steering is just so inert its like a video game. its the steering and brakes that really annoy me.

if only they fitted a quicker steering rack, moved some weight to the back (battery in the boot etc) and fitted some decent brakes they would have made a good car brilliant.
Golf GTI Clubsport S #237 Tornado red
Golf GTI 7.5 230 white silver

Offline mkviken

• I live here
« Reply #331 on: 18 July 2012, 21:08 »
Try one of these: www.bmw.co.uk

was waiting for that :grin:

i really like the new 1 M sport but I'm not paying IRO £30k for a hatch back again. lesson learned for me.

should have went for one of these.

http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evocarreviews/233381/renaultsport_megane_r26r.html

or

http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evocarreviews/280699/renaultsport_megane_265_cup_review.html

Offline Jimble

• Forum addict
« Reply #332 on: 18 July 2012, 21:29 »
You would think with the mods you would have sharpened it up nicely and made it an enjoyable drive, has to be said though for all their faults the French do make a great chassis if it's pure driving thrills your after :cool:

grip and stability are excellent as is ride and body control (bilsteins are excellent) but the steering is just so inert its like a video game. its the steering and brakes that really annoy me.

if only they fitted a quicker steering rack, moved some weight to the back (battery in the boot etc) and fitted some decent brakes they would have made a good car brilliant.

Didn't kenny adjust the steering assist with vcds? Would that help?
Currently pootling around in our family wagen, a Tiguan SEL 😂

Offline mkviken

• I live here
« Reply #333 on: 18 July 2012, 21:43 »
don't think you can do that with the mk6. you can with the mk5 i think

you can adjust the brass assist (which i did) and it improves the brakes very slightly but not by much.

the WALK improves the steering feel a lot but its still not great.

wonder if the S3 steering rack is quicker?

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #334 on: 18 July 2012, 23:35 »
Brakes fit the s3/cupra calipers
Steering feel has it been reset since the suspension. Feel tyres make a lot of difference. I did feel yours had less feel and more inert than mine I put that down to mods and wheel/tires.
Pedals they copied BMW to please needles and co. Idiots.
My wipers work fine, very well its only one thing I'm.actually happy with lol.
Don't believe I'm saying this but I agree about the renaults would much rather have one of those than any BMW.
« Last Edit: 19 July 2012, 00:02 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline ScottA

• I live here
« Reply #335 on: 19 July 2012, 00:01 »
I also feel tyre pressures make a massive difference to feel. If I run at recommended it's like the cars floating lol

Offline mkviken

• I live here
« Reply #336 on: 19 July 2012, 00:28 »
I also feel tyre pressures make a massive difference to feel. If I run at recommended it's like the cars floating lol

my tyre pressures are always right so its not an issue. check them at least once a week.

problem is these cars have been designed to take the driver out of the equation to a large degree. its obviously what VW think their customers want but its starting to irritate me now how detached you feel when driving a gti.

Steering feel has it been reset since the suspension. Feel tyres make a lot of difference. I did feel yours had less feel and more inert than mine I put that down to mods and wheel/tires.
Don't believe I'm saying this but I agree about the renaults would much rather have one of those than any BMW.

i considered S3 brakes but the weight really puts me off.

all alignment etc is spot on. had it reset after any mod carried out.

when you drove it it only had WALK fitted which actually improved feel. i think the 18" tyres probably feel worse than your 17''s which is what you may have noticed. I've driven a few gtis with 17'' and 18" wheels and always preferred the 17"s to drive.

Offline ScottA

• I live here
« Reply #337 on: 19 July 2012, 00:43 »

my tyre pressures are always right so its not an issue. check them at least once a week.

problem is these cars have been designed to take the driver out of the equation to a large degree. its obviously what VW think their customers want but its starting to irritate me now how detached you feel when driving a gti.

i considered S3 brakes but the weight really puts me off.

all alignment etc is spot on. had it reset after any mod carried out.

when you drove it it only had WALK fitted which actually improved feel. i think the 18" tyres probably feel worse than your 17''s which is what you may have noticed. I've driven a few gtis with 17'' and 18" wheels and always preferred the 17"s to drive.

Pressures right as in what VW recommend? Fairly certain what they recommend is for less contact with the road / lower rolling resistance / better fuel economy and not for best feel/grip.

S3 brakes are heavy but they work well and I really don't think you can tell a difference on the road although I'm sure you/someone will say otherwise  :tongue:

Can you fit aluminium suspension arms to counteract the extra weight of the brakes? Not sure if they will fit from TT or S3 or something.

Alternative you can get a front Porsche setup for not much more than the S3 full setup and it's much lighter, think they fit standard 312mm's but have much better feel and bite.

Offline mkviken

• I live here
« Reply #338 on: 19 July 2012, 00:59 »
i set them at 36psi which seems a good compromise. vw recommended 38psi for fuel economy and tyre wear which is way to hard IMO.

your right you probably won't feel the added weight of the bigger brakes but its not an ideal area of the car to be making heavier. i like the idea of the boxster calipers though but not sure how much more powerful they would be using the same size disc. they seem to get good reviews though.

Offline Raffe

• I live here
« Reply #339 on: 19 July 2012, 07:34 »

I would love to go back to some of my old cars as they were immense fun to drive and achieved the driving experience It sounds like you're craving....

205 GTi
Clio Williams
Integra Type-R

By comparison my Gti feels like a GT car rather than a hot hatch, shame really but then with all the safety regulations needed on new cars they have got lardy and soulless :cry:
2016 Golf R | 3dr | DSG | Reflex Silver | 19" Pretoria Alloys | 90% Tints | Nav | Winter Pack | App Connect