Author Topic: Astra mk4 vs Golf GTI  (Read 18585 times)

Offline Khare

  • Serious forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 7,626
  • The bear that khares
Re: Astra mk4 vs Golf GTI
« Reply #10 on: 17 April 2010, 02:49 »
you will feel a huge difference mate! I did when I went from a 1.6 mk2 to an 8v mk3.

Offline SoundillusioN

  • 10k hero
  • *
  • Posts: 10,004
  • If I can't fix it at home, it ain't getting fixed.
Re: Astra mk4 vs Golf GTI
« Reply #11 on: 17 April 2010, 03:14 »
i had the same shape astra but a 1.8 Sport for a short while inbetween golfs.  It was a piece of cr@p looking back. my white mk1 which was standard with 127k miles on would have whipped the astra back to plastic unreliablility land where it belonged (sorry).......

That mk2 would do the same.... you won't regret it at all.

PS, if you get it, do you wanna sell me the wheels?  :wink:

Offline dubber36

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 5,536
Re: Astra mk4 vs Golf GTI
« Reply #12 on: 17 April 2010, 07:42 »

Tax will be £0 for you in 4 years.


Really????????

Tax exempt scheme stopped about 2 years ago. Cars that were at least 25 years old back then were exempt (and still are) but cars that have had there 25th birthday since still have to be taxed.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline weazgti

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 955
Re: Astra mk4 vs Golf GTI
« Reply #13 on: 17 April 2010, 09:19 »
I knew someone who had a sri astra like that and it was brand new at the time. Felt quite nippy but did not stand a chance against my mates 8v gti with 185,000 miles on, even with a head start it was loads slower.
All these years and they ve learnt nothing.

Offline Charge

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 263
  • Into Notion, Out of Motion
Re: Astra mk4 vs Golf GTI
« Reply #14 on: 17 April 2010, 11:16 »
Well I havent got a garage and I will be doing over 4k in a year, and im only 18 so any insurance quote is gonna be sky high anyway!

I knew it would be quicker, i just wanted to know by how much. The thing is the Astra is newer, where technology can squeeze more power out of the engine. The mk2 is just raw, nothing to worry about in between the pedal and the engine.

I know, I feel car companies are going, well backwards tbh. VW saying there going back to GTI roots with the Mk6, but its drabbed down with so much tecnology and plastic, its nothing compared to the old mk1/mk2's.

So, lets just say im gonna be swept off my feet when I drive my mk2 hard for the first time then compared to my Astra  :grin:

Offline JC

  • 10k hero
  • *
  • Posts: 13,393
  • Back in the North.
Re: Astra mk4 vs Golf GTI
« Reply #15 on: 17 April 2010, 11:23 »
dont think you would get a classic policy at your age either  :sad:

Offline jezza16v

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 981
Re: Astra mk4 vs Golf GTI
« Reply #16 on: 17 April 2010, 11:35 »

Tax will be £0 for you in 4 years.


Really????????

Tax exempt scheme stopped about 2 years ago. Cars that were at least 25 years old back then were exempt (and still are) but cars that have had there 25th birthday since still have to be taxed.

I think it has to be build pre Jan 1st 1973 actually, the rollover stopped way back.

Offline Charge

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 263
  • Into Notion, Out of Motion
Re: Astra mk4 vs Golf GTI
« Reply #17 on: 17 April 2010, 12:08 »
dont think you would get a classic policy at your age either  :sad:

Yea I doubt they would allow it, unless the car was completely stock and covered with a Fully Comp policy, and I had another car to drive.

Im looking at picking it up in the next couple of weeks, just trying to get the seller to MOT it before selling it.

Offline shaolindan

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 286
Re: Astra mk4 vs Golf GTI
« Reply #18 on: 17 April 2010, 15:26 »

Tax will be £0 for you in 4 years.


Really????????

Tax exempt scheme stopped about 2 years ago. Cars that were at least 25 years old back then were exempt (and still are) but cars that have had there 25th birthday since still have to be taxed.

Ahhh. News to me. But apparently the car has to now be built before '73.
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/TaxationClasses/DG_4022042

And on wiki it says not 2 years ago but '97!
Various classes and uses of vehicle are provided with a tax disk without charge.

Vehicles constructed before 1 January 1973 are eligible for a free vehicle licence under the "Historic Vehicles" legislation. This is due to the age of the vehicle and a presumption of limited mileage. Initially this was a rolling exemption applied to any vehicles over 25 years old, however the cutoff date was frozen in 1997. The change to "pre-1973" was unpopular in the classic motoring press, and a number of classic car clubs are campaigning for a change back to the previous system.[citation needed] In 2006 there were 307,407 vehicles in this category.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_excise_duty

So now I know, I stand corrected.

Golf GTi 8v mk2 1990
Coilovers, BBS RA, K&N Induction Kit...

Offline Charge

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 263
  • Into Notion, Out of Motion
Re: Astra mk4 vs Golf GTI
« Reply #19 on: 22 April 2010, 02:30 »
So I am looking at a Valver now.

I can't imagine that is much quicker than a normal 8v.


Headliner is sagging and previous owner has already tried to reglue so looking at a new one, but DAMN for 77quid it's a lot. (New)