Author Topic: hella quad headlight HID conversion  (Read 6476 times)

Offline Matty-MK3

• I live here
  • Automatic boats FTW.
Re: hella quad headlight HID conversion
« Reply #40 on: 13 March 2010, 13:40 »
I don't understand you lot. Less than a year ago someone asked about them and there was only a small mention about legalities of the HIDs now since someone made a big fuss about them its now a gray area. Stop being sheep. We all know they are illegal! If the OP want's to run them its not our responsibility.

Matt and Joe shut the f**k up. I'v got a sore head stop being petty both of you. What does it matter if Matt is josho?

They can be illegal as much as they want, they're becoming a popular modification because people actually like to see further than the edge of their bonnet at night time so the police won't be able to stop it now will they :)

You used to have HID's so you can shut up aswell :tongue:

I did yes. Newer had anyone flash at me or never had any of my mates in front of me telling me that my lights dazzled them. I also never had any problem with my MOT; so what's the problem?

As you say it's up to the owner.

Just I don't agree with people saying they are 100% fine when they are actually illegal, if OP knows this and chooses to run them then who cares?

Oh and I may have changed my views on them as after running them for more then a week you can really see the advantage.
« Last Edit: 13 March 2010, 13:42 by Matty-MK3 »
Golf MK3 1.8 auto and I didn't pay a grand for the "priveledge" :grin:, auto windows all round and a AC. Oh and I've got a luggage net you pricks!

Does that make my willy look bigger?

Oh yeah it's called Helda or something....

Offline Adam

• Forum addict
« Reply #41 on: 13 March 2010, 13:43 »
I don't understand you lot. Less than a year ago someone asked about them and there was only a small mention about legalities of the HIDs now since someone made a big fuss about them its now a gray area. Stop being sheep. We all know they are illegal! If the OP want's to run them its not our responsibility.

Matt and Joe shut the f**k up. I'v got a sore head stop being petty both of you. What does it matter if Matt is josho?

They can be illegal as much as they want, they're becoming a popular modification because people actually like to see further than the edge of their bonnet at night time so the police won't be able to stop it now will they :)

I did yes. Newer had anyone flash at me or never had any of my mates in front of me telling me that my lights dazzled them. I also never had any problem with my MOT; so what's the problem?

Just I don't agree with people saying they are 100% fine when they are actually illegal, if OP knows this and chooses to run them then who cares?

I can't find people saying they are 100% legal. If someone doesn't know the facts they shouldn't be advising.

Down Hill From Here.

Offline VR6-Joe

• I live here
« Reply #42 on: 13 March 2010, 13:43 »
So why not just say that in the first place instead of posting up this nonsence..

Can of worms, can of worms, can of worms.....

Yes it's possible, obviously you are using you car off road only though and an H1 kit fits straight on it. Off road on your dads mates nans farm though, isn't it?

Would have saved 2 or 3 pages of b!tching.

That is all.
Gone but not forgotten;
1983 Mk1 Golf GX - 1991 Mk2 Golf GTI - 1988 Scirocco Scala - 1989 Mk2 Golf CL - 1993 Mk3 Golf Ryder - 1996 Mk3 Golf SE - 1996 Mk3 Golf CL - 1995 Mk3 Golf GTI 16v - 1996 Mk3 Golf VR6 Highline - 2003 Saxo VTR - 1996 Mk3 Golf VR6

Offline Matty-MK3

• I live here
  • Automatic boats FTW.
« Reply #43 on: 13 March 2010, 13:45 »

I can't find people saying they are 100% legal. If someone doesn't know the facts they shouldn't be advising.

Well, the whole "they are fine run them" it's a bit misleading. We should simply have a sticky saying "No they aren't legal but they aren't that noticable either".

And Joe, in all fairness, how many times does this actualy get asked? I was being sarcastic. :grin:
Golf MK3 1.8 auto and I didn't pay a grand for the "priveledge" :grin:, auto windows all round and a AC. Oh and I've got a luggage net you pricks!

Offline Adam

• Forum addict
« Reply #44 on: 13 March 2010, 13:46 »
So why not just say that in the first place instead of posting up this nonsence..

Who is that directed to?

Down Hill From Here.

Offline Dan34

• I live here
  • VTEC Powerzzzz
« Reply #45 on: 13 March 2010, 13:46 »
What a gay thread.

Offline Adam

• Forum addict
« Reply #46 on: 13 March 2010, 13:47 »
What a gay thread.

Another MK3 section thread that has gone down hill  :rolleyes:

/Lock?

Down Hill From Here.

Offline VR6-Joe

• I live here
« Reply #47 on: 13 March 2010, 13:48 »

Who is that directed to?

Josh, sorry, Matt
Gone but not forgotten;
1983 Mk1 Golf GX - 1991 Mk2 Golf GTI - 1988 Scirocco Scala - 1989 Mk2 Golf CL - 1993 Mk3 Golf Ryder - 1996 Mk3 Golf SE - 1996 Mk3 Golf CL - 1995 Mk3 Golf GTI 16v - 1996 Mk3 Golf VR6 Highline - 2003 Saxo VTR - 1996 Mk3 Golf VR6

Offline Matty-MK3

• I live here
  • Automatic boats FTW.
« Reply #48 on: 13 March 2010, 13:48 »

Who is that directed to?

Me.

HIDs AREN'T STRICTLY LEGAL, BUT YOU PROBABLY WON'T GET ANY STICK FOR RUNNING THEM IF THEY ARE ALIGHNED PROPERLY.

They're fecking brilliant. That is all. :lipsrsealed:

/thread.

Offline DubSociety

• I live here
« Reply #49 on: 13 March 2010, 13:52 »
Right, from experience I have ran them in:

1. Projector Headlamps ... 8000k on my previous car - Never failed an MOT, never had problem from the Police.
2. Ran 8000k bluer bulbs in a bog standard pair of headlamps (my Golf infact) and never had any problems in MOT or Police, I have since sold them and now back to sh!tty yellow bulbs just because I got bored off the 'extra' attention it brings and the fact I finally realised it doesn't suit my car as ive kept most things standard on it.

So the verdict being. Yes they are illegal by the book, however police don't care unless they just feel like doing you for having them one day, most MOT testers don't care, but again depending on where you go, you could fail.

They are ONLY LEGAL if you have headlight washers, and the lamps are projector lenses and all aligned correctly etc.

EDIT: also, they cost around £40-£50 on ebay and easily removeable ... so worst comes to worst, run them when you feel like, like a seasonal thing, its a 5 min job to take them out before an MOT aswell ... you know how it is.