Author Topic: hella quad headlight HID conversion  (Read 6461 times)

Offline Matty-MK3

• I live here
  • Automatic boats FTW.
Re: hella quad headlight HID conversion
« Reply #30 on: 13 March 2010, 13:09 »
Right, ignoring the sh!te in this thread the facts are:

-They aren't legal. (Unless you set up proper HID projectors or reflectors, headlight washers and an autoleveling system of some sort).
-They probably will pass an MOT, especially in Hella Twins (and I can speak from experience here).
-Police generally don't care/notice as long as they don't dazzle oncomming traffic (which aligned properly they won't) and there is this video on them on the internet where someone was testing them out with a Renault Megane with like 8-10K HIDs and it glared loads, obviously you're asking for trouble with something like that.
-4.3K-6K are the general choice. 8K is probably the limit, 10K is pretty blue so it's attention you don't want.
-They aren't difficult to fit, TBF the stock 10A fuse will be fine, although you can use a 5A one if you're anal, I wouldn't. Make sure they are sealed with the rubber caps though, otherwise as time goes on the lense will get dirty.
-VR6-Joe approves of them so they are fine.
-Diamond Hell thinks your a c*nt for running them.
« Last Edit: 13 March 2010, 13:13 by Matty-MK3 »
Golf MK3 1.8 auto and I didn't pay a grand for the "priveledge" :grin:, auto windows all round and a AC. Oh and I've got a luggage net you pricks!

Does that make my willy look bigger?

Oh yeah it's called Helda or something....

kells

« Reply #31 on: 13 March 2010, 13:18 »

if this is why your not rocking them dude then blimey!!!

he is a small town hill billy who has basically f**k all life exp!!! he was dragged up on a farm FS and if he dont like somehting its regarded as sh!te.. cant believe you listed to goons like that mate, i know u like HIDs u just wont admit it :wink: :smiley:

we know its a gray area, but as said a million times, MOT time it wont fail and the rozzers couldnt give a flying f**k, new cars that came from the factory with them glair just as bad as any and if you cant beat em join em :grin:

Oh and on a side note, iv never seen switches like i did for joe, but i guess they will be copied now, and the reason they were done like that is due to a amber bulb been blow so i thought id experiment.. they look really cool   :cool:

Offline VR6-Joe

• I live here
« Reply #32 on: 13 March 2010, 13:20 »
You choice but they are illegal.

Is it as cut and dried as that?

I know for a new car, it has to have a headlight cleaning facility and automatic levelling...but the laws regarding use seem less clear.
The MOT makes no specific reference to it - as long as the beam pattern is correct.

Unless it's been changed recently.
anyone know for sure?

Finally someone that talks sense, not a 15/16 year old school kid that doesn't have a feckin clue

Feel free to sorry sometime, I am a lot older than 15/16 and was only going by the info from previous threads.

Sorry Wayne, wasn't referring to you mate, just forgot to delete your qoute from the above :)
Gone but not forgotten;
1983 Mk1 Golf GX - 1991 Mk2 Golf GTI - 1988 Scirocco Scala - 1989 Mk2 Golf CL - 1993 Mk3 Golf Ryder - 1996 Mk3 Golf SE - 1996 Mk3 Golf CL - 1995 Mk3 Golf GTI 16v - 1996 Mk3 Golf VR6 Highline - 2003 Saxo VTR - 1996 Mk3 Golf VR6

Offline Matty-MK3

• I live here
  • Automatic boats FTW.
« Reply #33 on: 13 March 2010, 13:22 »

if this is why your not rocking them dude then blimey!!!

he is a small town hill billy who has basically f**k all life exp!!! he was dragged up on a farm FS and if he dont like somehting its regarded as sh!te.. cant believe you listed to goons like that mate, i know u like HIDs u just wont admit it :wink: :smiley:

we know its a gray area, but as said a million times, MOT time it wont fail and the rozzers couldnt give a flying f**k, new cars that came from the factory with them glair just as bad as any and if you cant beat em join em :grin:

Oh and on a side note, iv never seen switches like i did for joe, but i guess they will be copied now, and the reason they were done like that is due to a amber bulb been blow so i thought id experiment.. they look really cool   :cool:

Who said I wasn't/haven't run them? :lipsrsealed:

He simply was the first to tell me they weren't legal, you don't get any trouble for running them though, just it's not right to tell people they are absolutely fine when they aren't 100% legal.

Oh, and my switches are like that, I cannot find my phone cable (yup, you're thinking "excuses excuses" but I'll get my mate to take one later and Joe never agree'd to the deal. :grin:).
Golf MK3 1.8 auto and I didn't pay a grand for the "priveledge" :grin:, auto windows all round and a AC. Oh and I've got a luggage net you pricks!

Offline VR6-Joe

• I live here
« Reply #34 on: 13 March 2010, 13:28 »
Man up dickhead, everything you type is bo11ocks

This forum has it's fair share of pathetic w@nkers, not allowed to fit HID's, not allowed to fit Porsche centre cap badges, not allowed to put a VR6 badge on a VR6 lookalike.. yeah good one.

Next you'll get flamed for lowering your car more than factory specifications :rolleyes:
Gone but not forgotten;
1983 Mk1 Golf GX - 1991 Mk2 Golf GTI - 1988 Scirocco Scala - 1989 Mk2 Golf CL - 1993 Mk3 Golf Ryder - 1996 Mk3 Golf SE - 1996 Mk3 Golf CL - 1995 Mk3 Golf GTI 16v - 1996 Mk3 Golf VR6 Highline - 2003 Saxo VTR - 1996 Mk3 Golf VR6

Offline Matty-MK3

• I live here
  • Automatic boats FTW.
« Reply #35 on: 13 March 2010, 13:31 »
Man up dickhead, everything you type is bo11ocks

This forum has it's fair share of pathetic w@nkers, not allowed to fit HID's, not allowed to fit Porsche centre cap badges, not allowed to put a VR6 badge on a VR6 lookalike.. yeah good one.

Next you'll get flamed for lowering your car more than factory specifications :rolleyes:

Who actually gives a flying f**k? Don't like it, close the window.

Nobody is stopping you putting HIDs on your car, or Porsche badges. Reality check, it's the internet, everyone has an opinion...

All the abuse you are giving is amusing me for the record. :grin:

Offline Adam

• Forum addict
« Reply #36 on: 13 March 2010, 13:32 »
I don't understand you lot. Less than a year ago someone asked about them and there was only a small mention about legalities of the HIDs now since someone made a big fuss about them its now a gray area. Stop being sheep. We all know they are illegal! If the OP want's to run them its not our responsibility.

Matt and Joe shut the f**k up. I'v got a sore head stop being petty both of you. What does it matter if Matt is josho?

Down Hill From Here.

Offline VR6-Joe

• I live here
« Reply #37 on: 13 March 2010, 13:34 »
I don't understand you lot. Less than a year ago someone asked about them and there was only a small mention about legalities of the HIDs now since someone made a big fuss about them its now a gray area. Stop being sheep. We all know they are illegal! If the OP want's to run them its not our responsibility.

Matt and Joe shut the f**k up. I'v got a sore head stop being petty both of you. What does it matter if Matt is josho?

They can be illegal as much as they want, they're becoming a popular modification because people actually like to see further than the edge of their bonnet at night time so the police won't be able to stop it now will they :)

You used to have HID's so you can shut up aswell :tongue:
Gone but not forgotten;

Offline Matty-MK3

• I live here
  • Automatic boats FTW.
« Reply #38 on: 13 March 2010, 13:36 »

They can be illegal as much as they want, they're becoming a popular modification because people actually like to see further than the edge of their bonnet at night time so the police won't be able to stop it now will they :)

This TBH.

In my opinion (well now my 3 points have gone) the pro's out weigh the cons. :lipsrsealed:

Offline Adam

• Forum addict
« Reply #39 on: 13 March 2010, 13:38 »

I did yes. Newer had anyone flash at me or never had any of my mates in front of me telling me that my lights dazzled them. I also never had any problem with my MOT nor any problems with the Police; so what's the problem?

Down Hill From Here.