Author Topic: To Mod or not to Mod....  (Read 16692 times)

Offline PVsilvergrey

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 22
To Mod or not to Mod....
« on: 10 March 2010, 23:13 »
Hi

First post!!!

Recently bought a Mk2 8v Gti, 1989, one of the first big bumpers in the UK.
48k, 100% standard, 1 careful lady owner, garaged since new, never had any paint work, no rust and 99.9% blemish-free (interior 100% perfect)
5 door, in silver grey (seems to be quite a rare colour to me).  A lucky find I reckon, and really enjoying it.  :smug:

On steel rims, fancy some RA's, but that's not really a mod.
The car has 16v badges on it (from the factory so I was told) which I've left on for now, figuring it's part of the history.
The car needed new dampers and the garage I go to said why not go with 16v ones - sharpen things up a little.  So I did and am happy with them.  Thinking of ordering OEM 16v springs to match as they are just about still available.
The engine felt a little loose (almost like a misfire at times) so my garage recommended some uprated engine mounts.  Had these fitted and sure enough it feels a lot more solid.
Then I'm thinking maybe I'll get the head reworked and some different cams + remap at some point.

But then I'm feeling guilty for "subtly" (?) modifying such a mint original example of this modern classic.....
.....Should I feel bad? :undecided:

I've always been a stickler for keeping things standard up until now....

What do you reckon?

Cheers
Paul

Offline Sam

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,186
  • Sam I am
Re: To Mod or not to Mod....
« Reply #1 on: 10 March 2010, 23:23 »
Yer man that is a minter, i would feel guilty... see if you can get hold of another to f**k about with.



But then again it is a 5 door... :laugh:


The entire world is a Money Pit, you just have to pick yours.

Offline Alec

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 844
Re: To Mod or not to Mod....
« Reply #2 on: 10 March 2010, 23:25 »
So is it a valver or not?

Is the colour atlas grey? Get a code from the panel inside the boot where the lock mech is.

Dont think chipping and mapping an 8valve will do very much to be honest mate without some head work and a decent manifold and maybe a cam to be honest.

My 8valve has all that done and more yet it is still drive-able in traffic and around town yet it looks the same under the bonnet. Just get it done properly if you want to keep the value of the car high

Then enjoy


Offline jv

  • Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
  • *****
  • Posts: 7,144
Re: To Mod or not to Mod....
« Reply #3 on: 10 March 2010, 23:25 »
Tricky huh :)

You could stop messing right now and try and sell it for a good few k to those that obsess about low mileage. 5 door though and not one of the well loved colours so not worth a fortune!

Why feel bad though? Enjoy the car, they were sold in big numbers, do whatever you like :)

I can't believe that it was possible to buy an 8v with 16v badges from new :tongue:
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline Thom89

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 4,092
  • Looking for an "Icebreaker"
Re: To Mod or not to Mod....
« Reply #4 on: 10 March 2010, 23:31 »
Welcome... someone once said "this thread is worthless without pics!" so get posting
Keep the car standard! don't mod any further than Wheels, tyres, ride height, and a subtle exhaust, anything more imo is all part of the slippery slope...
So what is it, 8V or 16V, either way at 48K, its hardly run in!
Just enjoy it
Thom

Offline dan_apps

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,677
  • too low for british roads!
Re: To Mod or not to Mod....
« Reply #5 on: 10 March 2010, 23:40 »
slam it! :grin:

Offline Horney

  • 10k hero
  • *
  • Posts: 10,782
  • Racing, Trackdays, Starwars.
Re: To Mod or not to Mod....
« Reply #6 on: 10 March 2010, 23:44 »
Pics! :grin:

nick

Offline Sam

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,186
  • Sam I am
Re: To Mod or not to Mod....
« Reply #7 on: 10 March 2010, 23:46 »
HA ha we must be the quickest group on the entire web to get side tracked! Especially in the realms of mk2


PIC PIC PIC!

YOU ASKED IF ITS A VALVER WHEN HE SAID ITS 8 LOLOLOLLOLOL


The entire world is a Money Pit, you just have to pick yours.

Offline PVsilvergrey

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 22
Re: To Mod or not to Mod....
« Reply #8 on: 10 March 2010, 23:55 »
Blimey - I thought I'd get no replies at this time of night.  Losers :rolleyes: joking obviously.

It is an 8v.  Good spec mind with sunroof PAS and leccy windows x 4 around.  And an as new Fischer branded cassette storage device  :grin:

According to the couple who sold it to me the car was delivered with 16v badges on and the dealer apologised and said he'd either take them off or retro fit them some OEM darkened rear lenses as a gesture and chuck in some other bits.  They went with the latter!

Pics to follow, probably at the weekend.  Any special requests?

I *think* I'll probably get the wheels and prob 16v springs and leave it at that for now and just enjoy it as you say.

PS - I'm glad a lot of people don't like 5 doors - would have cost me twice as much!!

Offline PVsilvergrey

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 22
Re: To Mod or not to Mod....
« Reply #9 on: 10 March 2010, 23:58 »
By the way it is definitely silver grey (or silbergrau on the touch up stick I ordered - well, I found 6 stone chips!)
Not Atlas.  I will get the code.

Paul