Author Topic: Adaptive suspension-views please  (Read 9214 times)

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
Re: Adaptive suspension-views please
« Reply #30 on: 07 February 2010, 18:44 »

Steve and Snoopy:
Just realised we have gone way off course.
Were we not discussing Adaptive suspension?
Both of you are a bad influence on me!
I have lost my way due to your very interesting posts. :wink: :laugh:
« Last Edit: 07 February 2010, 18:51 by am1w »
RED TORNADO 7R, 5 DR, DSG, DCC, DNS, DYNAUDIO, KI, WP, HBA, LN, SP

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #31 on: 07 February 2010, 18:49 »
My views on ACC is it is probably a useful option if you are going to have large dia alloy.
I nearly went for it myself. The only reason i ruled it out for me in the end was i will be keeping this car ~10 years or more(if i ever get it!) and the extra cost of the replacment suspension components put me off after researching the tec and how it works.
« Last Edit: 07 February 2010, 18:51 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #32 on: 07 February 2010, 18:56 »
My views on ACC is it is probably a useful option if you are going to have large dia alloy.
I nearly went for it myself. The only reason i ruled it out for me in the end was i will be keeping this car ~10 years or more(if i ever get it!) and the extra cost of the replacment suspension components put me off after researching the tec and how it works.

I can understand your reasons.
I will get rid of the car in 3 years and probably take Public Transport. We are going to be so poor in this country that having a car would probably be considered very vulgar. :laugh:

Offline lowdown

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #33 on: 07 February 2010, 19:16 »
The simplicity of a standard setup will no doubt be a winner over the long term.  DIYers can get stuck in :nerd:

Regarding future prospects for the economy, FT's recovery watch this weekend reports the Motor Industry predicting the worst year ever for 2 decades-ouch :shocked:

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #34 on: 07 February 2010, 19:35 »
The simplicity of a standard setup will no doubt be a winner over the long term.  DIYers can get stuck in :nerd:

Regarding future prospects for the economy, FT's recovery watch this weekend reports the Motor Industry predicting the worst year ever for 2 decades-ouch :shocked:

Maybe, I should remove the ACC from the options and a get a sunroof (cheaper) instead?
I think it maybe too late to make this change.

Offline JJH

• Here all the time
« Reply #35 on: 07 February 2010, 19:44 »

So after the researching, what did you learn to put you off? I've opted of ACC and am interested to know if you read anything negiative, or is it just the fear of the new that stopped you opting in. I'm expecting good things from the suspension and almost getting excited with only a few weeks til pick up.
« Last Edit: 07 February 2010, 19:58 by JJH »
GTD White 5dr, ACC, Sunroof, winter pack, in transit.......

Offline mac7

• I live here
« Reply #36 on: 07 February 2010, 20:25 »
I don't think there's anything particularly negative about ACC except it's like anything computer controlled - i.e. far more complex than a simple mechanical system. Without ACC all you have to worry about is your shock absorbers wearing out. With ACC not only are they more complex electro-mechanical items, and therefore far more costly to replace, but you also have various sensors around the car and an ECU which all have the potential to go wrong.

DSG, ABS, ESP, haldex differential, engine management, etc - as the car ages it's all more likely to go wrong and when it does, can be expensive to fix.
Golf R

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #37 on: 07 February 2010, 20:28 »
So after the researching, what did you learn to put you off? I've opted of ACC and am interested to know if you read anything negiative, or is it just the fear of the new that stopped you opting in. I'm expecting good things from the suspension and almost getting excited with only a few weeks til pick up.
Complexity is what put me off. I have a background in mechanical and also electronic design and i know which i trust the most :wink:
Im going by memory so i will prob get this very wrong as it was about 5 months back!
Each strut has a CANbus interface. Each strut has a sensor, each suspension arm has a sensor, the car has a tilt sensor, a YAW sensor, the steering position has a sensor. They are all linked into a suspension control unit that control the damper valves. etc Great when it all works and has good contacts and is newish but.
The questions starts when something gives incorrect signals, corroded connectors, etc the costs may mount up or if a strut goes or wares out or goes soft do you have to replace all the struts? or in axel pairs? in diagonal pairs? Need coding and programmed in? How many different versions of the strut is there? and many more Qs?. There was too many questions so i decided to not bother with it.
I don't think there's anything particularly negative about ACC except it's like anything computer controlled - i.e. far more complex than a simple mechanical system. Without ACC all you have to worry about is your shock absorbers wearing out. With ACC not only are they more complex electro-mechanical items, and therefore far more costly to replace, but you also have various sensors around the car and an ECU which all have the potential to go wrong.
Exactly what i ment.
« Last Edit: 07 February 2010, 20:51 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #38 on: 07 February 2010, 20:58 »
Complexity is what put me off. I have a background in mechanical and also electronic design and i know which i trust the most :wink:
Im going by memory so i will prob get this very wrong as it was about 5 months back!
Each strut has a CANbus interface. Each strut has a sensor, each suspension arm has a sensor, the car has a tilt sensor, a YAW sensor, the steering position has a sensor. They are all linked into a suspension control unit that control the damper valves. etc Great when it all works and has good contacts and is newish but.
The questions starts when something gives incorrect signals, corroded connectors, etc the costs may mount up or if a strut goes or wares out or goes soft do you have to replace all the struts? or in axel pairs? in diagonal pairs? Need coding and programmed in? How many different versions of the strut is there? and many more Qs?. There was too many questions so i decided to not bother with it.
Exactly what i ment.

I give up! I'll see if I have time tomorrow to call the dealership. Don't want to give them an excuse to delay the build week.
When I test drove the GTi, I did notice an improvement in 'comfort' mode.
Keep you posted.

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #39 on: 07 February 2010, 20:59 »
Nothing wrong with it if you have speced it, i just felt it was not for me.
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI