Author Topic: Zdebx - Golf 1.8 SE 8v  (Read 44498 times)

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
Zdebx - Golf 1.8 SE 8v
« on: 15 December 2009, 12:00 »
:)
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline zdebx

• I live here
Re: Zdebx - Golf 1.8 SE 8v
« Reply #1 on: 15 December 2009, 18:44 »
Alriiiiight, thanks JV for adding a thread for me here :)

So where do I start?

Ok, a bit about myself. My real name's Stepan, but friends usually call me Steven. Live in London, but originally from Latvia, came to UK 3 years ago to study, but got bored and started working full-time 2 months ago.

Anyway, cars have always been my passion, and I LOVE MODDING/TUNING CARS. Currently I'm 19, so for my first car, I couldn't really get a Ferrari F430, so Golf is a perfect choice. I'm mainly into German cars, but like some Japanese and Italian stuff too.

Enough rambling...Now the car.

1996 Golf Mk3 1.8 8v SE

Bought it in October 2009 from East London, completely stock with no mods. So it's an SE, and because of that it has some "extras", such as GTI rear lights, GTI arches, GTI seats, white dashboard, etc.

I've never thought, that I would start modding it...All I wanted to do is get some new alloys, and that's it, but after I got them, I thought maybe I should get a new exhaust? A spoiler? Leather interior? lol

Anyway, long story short, so far I've spent £1000+ on it, but still got some stuff left to do...

Here are current mods:

M3 style mirrors
Rear crystal clear M3 style lights
Front hella twin headlights
Lenso RS5 17" wheels
GTI color concept leather seats
Jetex 2.5" twin exhaust
Xenon 6000k lights
Tinted windows

Few pics:

I won't probably do anything more in 2009, but 2010's gonna be a BIG year :D

Future plans:

GTI spoiler - have already bought it, but need to respray and bond it on
Fog lights - also got them, will probably fit this saturday
Mk4 GTI steering wheel - got this one too from a Mk3.5, another job for this weekend
VR6 bonnet lifters
Chrome door pulls
Aluminium pedals
Front electric windows - got the cables and the front near side regulator+motor...still need the driver's side one and the door cards (leather preferably)

I know, you might ask why I still haven't lowered it? Well, I personally think that's a dumb idea and I don't like how the car looks when it's low :( Also don't want any issues with rubbing, scratching the front bumper, etc.

I guess that's all so far. I'll keep you updated, when anything new happens :)

« Last Edit: 15 December 2009, 18:47 by zdebx »
My Golf mk3 1.8 SE is FOR SALE - Jetex exhaust + Jamex coilies & More...Only £550! More info here > http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=161711.0

Offline zdebx

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 21 December 2009, 21:37 »
Got my sexy red stripes (6mm) done on Saturday, so now it looks like "anni" Golf :D Goes really well with red leather.

Tried to fit the fogs, but realized that I need some clips to hold them in, otherwise they are coming out, when I put the blanks in.

Was thinking to fit the mk3.5 steering wheel, but didn't have the right size driver socket for the wheel nut (need something like 19 or 22/24), so couldn't take the old steering wheel off, lol. Ordered a set of driver sockets, should be coming this week.

Will take some pics when the fogs and the steering's finished :)

My Golf mk3 1.8 SE is FOR SALE - Jetex exhaust + Jamex coilies & More...Only £550! More info here > http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=161711.0

Offline zdebx

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 30 December 2009, 15:04 »
Ok, little update. Eventhough, I thought I won't do anything until the New Year, I couldn't resist, lol

So painted the spoiler in gloss black and bonded on with Tigerseal. Fits perfect, and shouldn't come off :D

Got the boot struts for the bonnet from a scrappy, and will fit tomorrow probably. Will take some pics as well. Also ordered the screws and clips for the fogs from VW. About 3 quid in total - bargain.

Received the aluminium pedals last week too, but that's not a "quick jobbie", so not sure when I'm going to do it.

Now I have the offside front electric window regulator and motor as well, so just need the door cards and can put everything together. By the way, if anyone got leather door cards (purple or black) from a 5dr, let me know :)

Offline zdebx

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 31 December 2009, 15:02 »
Time for the pics :)

Fitted the boot struts today (thanks Shady Pioneer for his thread!) and the fogs as well. The struts fit perfect, but the fog on the passenger side is a bit dodgy, and doesn't sit straight :(

How to fit the boot struts as hood lifters > http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=112349.0

Offline zdebx

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 04 January 2010, 23:26 »
Still waiting for the driver sockets to arrive, so I can change the steering to mk3.5 wheel.

Also might go to a scrappy this Saturday to get the front door cards, as I'm planning to fit electric windows for the front. Got the mechanisms, cables and switches already.

Might fit the aluminium pedals on the weekend too, although it doesn't seem too simple.

Offline Shady Pioneer

• Serious forum addict
  • graphic designer.
« Reply #6 on: 05 January 2010, 01:46 »
Glad the write up helped you man :afro: good to see people using the info on the site too.

Offline zdebx

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 10 January 2010, 23:00 »
Cheers Shady :)

Alright, no big progress so far. Decided to swap my black'n'red seats for proper black ones, which are also heated, but I don't have the wiring loom and the switch. So if anyone's got it, please let me know.

Finally got a set of 4 black leather door cards. Will fit the front ones, when I put the electric regulators, although I haven't decided what to do with the back ones, because I'm not planning to fit electric windows at the back.

Didn't have time to fit the pedals, so will have to do it next weekend. Same with the steering wheel, as still haven't got the right size drive socket.  :undecided:

Got some serious long-term plans, but they are quite pricy, so not sure when I'm gonna do them:

1. Jamex Coilovers - £200
2. Borbet 9x16s - £650
3. Full respray in matt black - £1k

Will upload some pics later on.

Offline zdebx

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 16 January 2010, 14:08 »
Little update here :)

Got the driver sockets recently, so FINALLY fitted the mk3.5 steering wheel, which looks AMAAAAAAAZING :laugh:
Had to swap the clock springs to make my airbag work (the mk3.5's airbag wire was cut), and everything is perfect now. For those, who don't know what size socket you need, it's 24.

Also got myself VR6 wooden highline gear stick with leather gaiter, so fitted that as well. (thanks to damo666, who was breaking his VR6  :wink: )

Love the way the interior looks now - black leather + mk4 steering wheel + wooden gear knob = sexxxxxxx

Things to do:

Fit the aluminium pedals
Fit front electric windows with leather door cards
Fit OEM color coded electric mirrors (don't like my M3 ones - too small, cheap piece of ugly plastic :( )
« Last Edit: 16 January 2010, 16:59 by zdebx »

Offline zdebx

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 24 January 2010, 15:27 »
Haven't done much this weekend, but here's a little update :)

I was planning to go to scrappy on Saturday to get the electric mirrors, but I thought I would rather clean the throttle body, because the cutting out issue is quite annoying. So I cleaned the TB with carb cleaner, but also went to VW and bought ECU #30 relay (£12.69). Will put it soon, but first want to see, if the cleaning of TB actually helped. Also bought fuel pump #167 relay from flexiblefish98 (thanks! :) )

Today I've changed the back door cards to the leather ones. However, I had to make those little holes in the door card for the winder, because I can't be bothered to make back windows electric as well. So these are one of a kind leather door cards with manual winders, lol

Also tried to fit my "universal induction kit", but the sound was the same as original airbox (probably because it's a cheap piece of sh1t) - so decided to sell the crappy cone filter.

Now I'm thinking to get smoked fogs/indicators/reflectors, but what bothers me is the way left fog sits in place. It just doesn't get it properly, and pops out, even if I screw it properly. The annoying thing is that the right one sits perfectly.

So I don't know what to do...2 options:

1. If it's the bumper problem, then get a new bumper just for the fog to sit properly? LOL
2. Or simply take the fogs out and put in smoked double reflectors.

Your suggestions are welcome :)

Also ordered chrome door pulls and pins from eBay, so should be coming this week  :cool:

Next weekend:

Go to scrappy and see if I can find electric mirrors
Might try to fit front electric windows (btw, is there a relay for that?)

Long-term plans still remain the same - Borbet A's 9x16, Jamex coilovers and matt black spray.

« Last Edit: 24 January 2010, 20:43 by zdebx »