Author Topic: Sharp right hand bend/roundabout and my KR 16v tries to stall?!  (Read 1662 times)

Offline mookie

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 261
  • Geordie ABF!
Out of the blue I've found that with the petrol below or around the quarter tank mark, if I take a sharp right hand bend or roundabout, the car will try and stall and cut out... before recovering and driving off fine again. Never does it except when cornering sharply or quickly round a roundabout.

Any clues? I'm thinking fuelling as it seems fine with plenty of petrol in, and then misbehaves when it's down to the last quarter of a tank. Anything in the fuel system that might be responsible for such oddness?

Offline raferackstraw

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 904
i'm not sure but is there a lift pump in the tank like a mk1?

if so possibly lift pump is shagged or on its way out thereby putting high pressure pump under excessive strain   :undecided:

by cornering hard the fuel will slosh about and if the lift pump is not working may momentarily starve the main pump

can someone who knows mk2s help

wayne gardner smokes one rothmans too many
500cc 2stroke bad for ya health

Offline mookie

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 261
  • Geordie ABF!
Yeah there's a lift pump on the Mk2. So is that sensitive to the fuel level in the tank?

Offline raferackstraw

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 904
 i think so yes if its begining to fail

can you hear it whirring with ignition on? check fuel pump relay

also i think there are gauzes that could be partially blocked, has the tank been run very low or dry of fuel?

remove the in tank pump and give a once over and clean and check tank for rust

it does sound like a fuel starvation / surge problem, have you used the search function?

btw i'm no mechanic mate but with a quarter of a tank in i cant see fuel surging that much that the lift pump would not be picking up fuel unless it was faulty or your on 2 wheels  :grin:  :laugh:

wayne gardner smokes one rothmans too many
500cc 2stroke bad for ya health

Offline Thegolfman

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 85
Change the fuel filter first. £10 and its a cheap first port of call.
saying that the intank lift pump is only about £30 from GSF.
Cheers, Tony.

Offline mookie

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 261
  • Geordie ABF!
I've replaced the lift pump yesterday, and the filter was done a couple of months ago. The problem is still there  :sick:  I can hear my main fuel pump buzzing when crouching next to the drivers door - a red herring?

Offline rubjonny

  • 10k hero
  • *
  • Posts: 16,349
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
Re: Sharp right hand bend/roundabout and my KR 16v tries to stall?!
« Reply #6 on: 01 September 2009, 10:38 »
how loud is it?  you shouldn't be able to hear it over the engine with the door open, with the door shut you shjould be able to hear the in-tank pump buzz.  disconnect the electrical plug from the main under car pump then turn the key 1 click, you should hear the in-tank pump buzz
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline mookie

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 261
  • Geordie ABF!
Re: Sharp right hand bend/roundabout and my KR 16v tries to stall?!
« Reply #7 on: 01 September 2009, 23:00 »
Yeah the intank one seems fine and since putting it in the car feels 1000% nicer to drive - power delivery is so much smoother. However the right hand bend issue remains - I've now ordered a replacement main pump so I'll try that now as the lift pump seems fine.