Author Topic: The Frog's front mudflap adventure (pix inside)  (Read 3649 times)

Offline FroGTI

• I live here
  • Wheel nut
The Frog's front mudflap adventure (pix inside)
« on: 28 August 2009, 10:33 »
The mudflap debate has been raging for a couple of weeks now, so I thought I would find out for myself. I had already decided I didn't care much for the rear ones, but I thought some discrete front flaps might look ok against my carbon grey (and protect my sills, especailly as I have 235 tyres which protrude by about 5mm from the wheelarches).

So, I ordered a set from my local dealer and picked them up this morning.

First, whats in the box: 2 flaps, Ikea-style instructions and a packet of screws

The instructions said that the wheels should be removed first. I dare say it is slightly easier, but basically I couldn't be arsed, so I just left them on full lock to expose the work area:

Then it was just a case of unscrewing the 2 Torx 25 screws holding the plastic wheelarch liner in place, positioning the flap and putting the screws back in:

I stood back to admire and... oh dear, they looked awful. Quick, get them off before anyone notices...

So, that's where my write-up ends, I'm afraid. Anyone want a pair of brand new front mudflaps for a Mk6 GTI? :)

Offline rjwojcik

• Here all the time
Re: The Frog's front mudflap adventure (pix inside)
« Reply #1 on: 28 August 2009, 10:43 »
Ha ha ha, any pics with them on or was it just too bad?

What size are your alloys?
« Last Edit: 28 August 2009, 10:46 by rjwojcik »
Current:
2018 RS4  - Navarra Blue / Black
Gone:
2016 A6 BiTDI - Midnight Blue / Black
2016 Golf GTD with a "lot" of toys
2016 M3 CP - Mineral Grey / Black
2009 135i - Le Mans Blue / Black

Offline FroGTI

• I live here
  • Wheel nut
« Reply #2 on: 28 August 2009, 11:31 »
Yes, I know, I should have taken a picture before I removed them, but I was in such a panic to get them off, I plum forgot :(

I was also in a rush to get them back to my dealer before he closed for lunch (yes, the French still do that!) in the hope he might give me a refund, which he did thankfully, so no real harm done.

Incidentally, no offence intended to those who have them on their cars. I'm sure they do protect the bodywork, it's just that - in the same way as car bras - the price in terms of aesthetics is a little too high for a vane person such as I  :sad:

My alloys are 18 x 8", so 1/2" wider than standard.

Offline rjwojcik

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 28 August 2009, 12:19 »
Thanks, I was thinking of going for BBS CHs ( 18 x 8 ).
« Last Edit: 30 August 2009, 10:13 by rjwojcik »
Current:
Gone:

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #4 on: 28 August 2009, 18:21 »
(and protect my sills, especailly as I have 235 tyres which protrude by about 5mm from the wheelarches
When you say stick out do you meen at the bottom of the wheelarch or also at the top ?
Is this because of the width of the tyre or also because of the 8 inch width of the wheel rim and its offset ?
I am asking as i really like your wheels  :wink:
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline FroGTI

• I live here
  • Wheel nut
« Reply #5 on: 28 August 2009, 19:06 »
VW's Interlagos wheels (as used on the Scirocco & Passat CC) are 8" wide, whereas the GTI's Monza Shadows are 'only' 7.5. There is therefore an extra 1/4" sticking in towards the engine bay and an extra 1/4" sticking out of the wheelarch. It's not really noticeable, but if you look carefully down the car from the back, or down on the tyres from above, you can see that they protrude more than they should. It does give the car a more purposeful stance, though :)

Offline rjwojcik

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 30 August 2009, 10:17 »
Would you be able to provide any pix to show how much they stick out by (ooo-er), please?  Ta
Current:
Gone:

Offline FroGTI

• I live here
  • Wheel nut
« Reply #7 on: 30 August 2009, 12:04 »
Would you be able to provide any pix to show how much they stick out by (ooo-er), please?  Ta

Your wish is my command. This is about the best pic I have down the side of the car. A bit more noticeable at the front than the rear, but it's no big deal, IMO :)

Offline Aur

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 30 August 2009, 12:46 »
First, whats in the box: 2 flaps, Ikea-style instructions and a packet of screws

The instructions said that the wheels should be removed first. I dare say it is slightly easier, but basically I couldn't be arsed, so I just left them on full lock to expose the work area:

Then it was just a case of unscrewing the 2 Torx 25 screws holding the plastic wheelarch liner in place, positioning the flap and putting the screws back in:
Can you please tell me if you needed to drill in to the wheelarch liner? I got the impression from the other thread you needed to.

Offline FroGTI

• I live here
  • Wheel nut
« Reply #9 on: 30 August 2009, 13:11 »
You're right. Had I continued with the install, I would have needed to drill two small holes into the liner.