Author Topic: Mk3 power steering loss for couple of seconds.  (Read 2891 times)

Offline Mr.Tom

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 169
Mk3 power steering loss for couple of seconds.
« on: 24 August 2009, 06:57 »
Mk3 '96 2.0 GTi
Just now I had the power steering drop out for a couple of seconds twice on the way home.
Both times I was going around a 90 degree corner to the right. Once I had straightened up it was fine, and then did it again on another right hand corner a few mins later.
Fluids were all checked a couple of weeks ago by the garage I got it from. I did note that the steering had kind of moved itself, or jerked a few degrees when I reversed it on the test drive, but they couldn't find any problem, and it has been fine since. So thought it must have ben a pothole or something. Just the cut out today.
I also noticed that the smaller belt at the bottom of the engine has a few cracks forming between the teeth. Is that part of the power steering?
Cheers.

gtigolfthree

  • Guest
Re: Mk3 power steering loss for couple of seconds.
« Reply #1 on: 24 August 2009, 08:20 »
Yes it is if its cracked or perished replace it also check the tension.

Offline gazpowells

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 737
Re: Mk3 power steering loss for couple of seconds.
« Reply #2 on: 26 August 2009, 21:32 »
The belt you mention is your power steering and i would say its slipping
need to replace belt and problem solved  :smiley:

Offline Mr.Tom

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 169
Re: Mk3 power steering loss for couple of seconds.
« Reply #3 on: 27 August 2009, 09:15 »
Nice. It is going into the garage anyway later, so I will get them to check it :)
Cheers.

Offline Len

  • 10k hero
  • *
  • Posts: 16,292
  • Guardian of the Seas, Protector of Waves
Re: Mk3 power steering loss for couple of seconds.
« Reply #4 on: 27 August 2009, 13:15 »
These belts do need regular changing. I'm about to change mine for the 2nd time.
Mystic Blue Mk3 16v + Black Mk5 Gti 05 plate + Peugeot 405 Mi16

www.sas.org.uk
www.the-ace.org.uk

Offline sharki786

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,705
  • GOT BOOST??
Re: Mk3 power steering loss for couple of seconds.
« Reply #5 on: 27 August 2009, 17:36 »
well i had mine on for over a year, it did the same it slipped when i would go round a bend or round about, so took it to mechanic and he just tensioned it prob gone now  :cool:
*****MK3 Anniversary*****
*****MK4 GTI T*****

Offline igagem

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 26
Re: Mk3 power steering loss for couple of seconds.
« Reply #6 on: 28 August 2009, 20:19 »
Agreed it is the belt.. Mine did this when it was wet and the steering went very heavy on 90 turn. Belt was only about £10 and problem went.

Offline boneybradley

  • Forum Supporter
  • Serious forum addict
  • *****
  • Posts: 9,482
  • Back in a Mk3...
Re: Mk3 power steering loss for couple of seconds.
« Reply #7 on: 28 August 2009, 21:05 »
I swapped the belt every year (for £3-4 a belt its worth it while your doing a service)
Moderator of The Dub-Tug Squad!! (What some call the MK3 section!)



Full range of quality parts for your Volkswagen available at Oemandmore.co.uk

Offline Mr.Tom

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 169
Re: Mk3 power steering loss for couple of seconds.
« Reply #8 on: 29 August 2009, 23:45 »
So, do I have to worry about lining things up, as with the main belt. Or is it okay to just jam a new one on there?
Anyone got a source for the belts? can't seem to find any on eBay, apart from this one: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-VW-GOLF-1-9-TDI-POWER-STEERING-BELT-028-145-271_W0QQitemZ260434120483QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item3ca3154f23&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14
Cheers.

Offline sharki786

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,705
  • GOT BOOST??
Re: Mk3 power steering loss for couple of seconds.
« Reply #9 on: 30 August 2009, 21:30 »
is your GTI a 16V or standard 8v? go to euro car parts enter in your plate and go to the engine parts, then scroll down abit and you will see belts, you want to click on the driver belts then select the one you require if you need more info then call euro car parts, it states the conti belt? not sure what that is. but there you go a starter for you mate.
*****MK3 Anniversary*****
*****MK4 GTI T*****