Author Topic: Odd little key switch under dash.  (Read 1874 times)

Offline Mr.Tom

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 169
Odd little key switch under dash.
« on: 21 August 2009, 22:24 »
I just found a small electrical key switch under my dash, right next to the hood release. Just to the right of the fuse box cover. It is a little black cover that closes over one of those round type keys. Much like this: http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=2449

The wires are wrapped with the same tape as the alarm bits that are trailing all over the place.
The alarm that it seems to be attached to is a non functioning Scorpion 915.

Could it be the reason the alarm doesn't work? Or some kind of valet key? There are 5 or 6 wires attached to it, one of which just terminates about 6 inches from the lock/switch. Just a bare wire too :/

I havn't worked out whether it is on or off yet, but son't want to go poking it until I get a better idea of what it does :D

Offline Wayne

  • Sir Postalot
  • *
  • Posts: 32,051
Re: Odd little key switch under dash.
« Reply #1 on: 22 August 2009, 00:07 »
That would be an override key.

Offline Mr.Tom

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 169
Re: Odd little key switch under dash.
« Reply #2 on: 22 August 2009, 08:10 »
So what would likely happen if I switched it to the other position?

Offline Wayne

  • Sir Postalot
  • *
  • Posts: 32,051
Re: Odd little key switch under dash.
« Reply #3 on: 22 August 2009, 09:15 »
So what would likely happen if I switched it to the other position?

The alarm should work

Offline Mr.Tom

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 169
Re: Odd little key switch under dash.
« Reply #4 on: 23 August 2009, 00:57 »
Yeah, okay. So that was logical :)
I'm guessing that if anything did go wrong, switching it back would sort the problem. Perhaps I shall give it a go tomorrow.

Offline Wayne

  • Sir Postalot
  • *
  • Posts: 32,051
Re: Odd little key switch under dash.
« Reply #5 on: 23 August 2009, 16:32 »
Yeah, okay. So that was logical :)
I'm guessing that if anything did go wrong, switching it back would sort the problem. Perhaps I shall give it a go tomorrow.

Yes it would do.