Author Topic: B&M short shifter?  (Read 4132 times)

Offline Wazzzer

  • Moderator
  • 10k hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 11,170
  • Golf GTI 1.8T AGU
B&M short shifter?
« on: 19 August 2009, 18:49 »
Has anyone fitted the above? I'm stumped as to how it all goes together at the mo, the fitting instructions on their website are total sh!te with blurry photos that really aren't helping...


1999 1.8T: R-Tech remap - 225bhp/256lb/ft : K03s : THS FMIC : THS PCR pipe : 2.5" stainless exhaust : THS FR3 Engine mounts : G60/VR6 clutch : Calibra Yellow injectors : VR6 MAF : Devils Own WMI : Forge 007p : Carbonio CAI : Leon Cupra R Brembos : FK AK Street coilovers : Votex skirts : Anniversary front : click ---> http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=92175

Offline richw911

  • 10k hero
  • *
  • Posts: 18,673
  • The Linkmeister and an OEM Freak.
Re: B&M short shifter?
« Reply #1 on: 19 August 2009, 19:03 »

MKIV Mod Squad™ a part of the headlight police.

Offline Wazzzer

  • Moderator
  • 10k hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 11,170
  • Golf GTI 1.8T AGU
Re: B&M short shifter?
« Reply #2 on: 19 August 2009, 19:19 »
that's sort of how far I've got Rich, just trying to work out how this reverse lock out operates, guess I'll have to wait until it's being fitted to find out lol

Cheers for the link though

Check out how bad these photos are http://www.bmracing.com/bmracing/installation_instruction/23.pdf


1999 1.8T: R-Tech remap - 225bhp/256lb/ft : K03s : THS FMIC : THS PCR pipe : 2.5" stainless exhaust : THS FR3 Engine mounts : G60/VR6 clutch : Calibra Yellow injectors : VR6 MAF : Devils Own WMI : Forge 007p : Carbonio CAI : Leon Cupra R Brembos : FK AK Street coilovers : Votex skirts : Anniversary front : click ---> http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=92175

Offline Ivor Mk4 Turbo

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 4,576
  • 2014 PP GTi Manual
Re: B&M short shifter?
« Reply #3 on: 19 August 2009, 19:58 »
That doesn't look too bad, mate.  I think it'll be a hell of a lot more obvious when you're actually taking it all apart.  :afro:

(I've seen worse instructions than that, lol!).  :D
Current Car:- 2014 GTI PP manual, white.

Make way for..... 'The Silver Bullet'! 227 bhp, KO3-S'd AGU, R-TECH Spec 2 map 8), Forge 007P, Blueflame Turbo-back, Eibach -30mm's, YellowStuff front/RedStuff rear pads, Goodridge braided lines, TT Short-shifter, R32 Dogbone, TT W/B bushes, Forge TIP, G60 fly/VR6 clutch, 5.5 ltr washer bottle,

Car now for sale >>> http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=140614.0

Offline Wazzzer

  • Moderator
  • 10k hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 11,170
  • Golf GTI 1.8T AGU
Re: B&M short shifter?
« Reply #4 on: 19 August 2009, 21:54 »
I think I've just had a eureka moment...

This shifter looks like it changes the reverse select from push down to pull up...


1999 1.8T: R-Tech remap - 225bhp/256lb/ft : K03s : THS FMIC : THS PCR pipe : 2.5" stainless exhaust : THS FR3 Engine mounts : G60/VR6 clutch : Calibra Yellow injectors : VR6 MAF : Devils Own WMI : Forge 007p : Carbonio CAI : Leon Cupra R Brembos : FK AK Street coilovers : Votex skirts : Anniversary front : click ---> http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=92175

Offline Dalo Harkin

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,070
Re: B&M short shifter?
« Reply #5 on: 20 August 2009, 08:44 »
Still have doubts about short shifters - when I used to be mad into minis they were always a no no and I maintain that on EVERY car
ARZ K03s, Oettinger Side Skirts, R32 front, Carbon stage 2, Forge 007p (yellow spring), Forge Actuator (yellow spring), Pipercross panel filter with DSG parts, N249 and N112 deleted, SAI deleted, Carbon canister deleted, Rear wiper deleted, Long Life turbo back custom exhaust with 200 cell sports cat, VR6/G60 clutch kit, Creation Motorsport TIP, Catch can, 'Wellycooler', K04 charge pipe, S3 ported inlet manifold - looks pretty standard on the outside though :)

Offline Rhyso

  • Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
  • *****
  • Posts: 26,687
Re: B&M short shifter?
« Reply #6 on: 20 August 2009, 08:48 »
Still have doubts about short shifters - when I used to be mad into minis they were always a no no and I maintain that on EVERY car

you can retro-fit the short shifts from the MK1 Audi TT - not a great reduction in throw but it retains all the OEM functionality  :smiley:

they're about £25

Offline Wazzzer

  • Moderator
  • 10k hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 11,170
  • Golf GTI 1.8T AGU
Re: B&M short shifter?
« Reply #7 on: 20 August 2009, 16:54 »
already got one of them Rhys  :grin:

Still have doubts about short shifters - when I used to be mad into minis they were always a no no and I maintain that on EVERY car

why do you say that mate? This one replaces the whole gear lever and pivot rather than just shortening a standard lever like most do


1999 1.8T: R-Tech remap - 225bhp/256lb/ft : K03s : THS FMIC : THS PCR pipe : 2.5" stainless exhaust : THS FR3 Engine mounts : G60/VR6 clutch : Calibra Yellow injectors : VR6 MAF : Devils Own WMI : Forge 007p : Carbonio CAI : Leon Cupra R Brembos : FK AK Street coilovers : Votex skirts : Anniversary front : click ---> http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=92175

Offline Dalo Harkin

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,070
Re: B&M short shifter?
« Reply #8 on: 20 August 2009, 17:43 »
already got one of them Rhys  :grin:

Still have doubts about short shifters - when I used to be mad into minis they were always a no no and I maintain that on EVERY car

why do you say that mate? This one replaces the whole gear lever and pivot rather than just shortening a standard lever like most do

My mate had one fitted to his mini - 6 months later a new gearbox was needed and it was always said by everyone that had a mini to stay away from them - may have changed now though
ARZ K03s, Oettinger Side Skirts, R32 front, Carbon stage 2, Forge 007p (yellow spring), Forge Actuator (yellow spring), Pipercross panel filter with DSG parts, N249 and N112 deleted, SAI deleted, Carbon canister deleted, Rear wiper deleted, Long Life turbo back custom exhaust with 200 cell sports cat, VR6/G60 clutch kit, Creation Motorsport TIP, Catch can, 'Wellycooler', K04 charge pipe, S3 ported inlet manifold - looks pretty standard on the outside though :)

Offline tg1

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,192
Re: B&M short shifter?
« Reply #9 on: 20 August 2009, 18:46 »
i had one on my civic and that was fine. and it was a 15 quid ebay special

@ wazzer is it worth getting the tt shifter? and is it something a spanner like me could fit?