Author Topic: How fast without a restrictor? & Can you disable the DVD player from going off?  (Read 2438 times)

Offline Mk6Maniac

• Not said much yet
Fairly new to the GTI club, and just out of boredom rather than anything else, how fast can a GTI MK6 or any MK for that matter go without a restrictor on the speed/engine?

Is it much more or just a bit more?

ALSO

Is there a way that you can stop the DVD player going off when you go over 4-6 miles an hour (or whatever the speed is?). Chances are I wouldnt risk invalidating warranties, insurance policies etc, but just wondered if anyone knew if there was a way? Particularly, an easy way?

Many questions, little technical knowledge as ever from me!

Cheers

Offline jdjd

• I live here
You must be mad considering doin that lol! Ive tried sh!t similar with a portable dvd player, Must incease the accident possibilitys by 2million percent  :shocked: But I see where your coming from it should be up to you to turn it off. And yeah i believe its a simple trick to trick the ecu into thinking its off. And I think its pretty much flat out at 149. Might be wrong I aint an expert :undecided:

Offline keelaw

• I live here
  • It's here!

i recall the Car review where Ben Barry tried to hit the newly increased top speed.... seemed to take ages, so I doubt that it will go much faster than that.

Mk6 Golf GTI 5dr, DBP, Monza Shadow, Xenons, ACC, RCD510, Park Assist, Camera, Lux pack.... and now bluetooth.... and now DSG!

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Forum addict
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed, ASK!

i recall the Car review where Ben Barry tried to hit the newly increased top speed.... seemed to take ages, so I doubt that it will go much faster than that.

Agreed.

Like I said in another thread - the Golfs' major limiting factor is poor aerodynamics.  It is pretty much common knowledge that a 'two box' hatchback are aerodynamically much less efficient compared to a 'three box' saloon.  So if you put the same GTI Mk6 engine in say a Skoda Octavia (and everything else was equal, such as gearing, vehicle weights, etc), then because the Octavia is more closer to a three box design - it will reach a higher top speed.  :nerd:
Sean - Independent Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
-----
'06/7 Golf Mk5 GTI 5dr (BWA) DSG, colour coded,

I feel like a homo

Offline Noisia

• Not said much yet
I'm sure you could shop around and find one cheaper, but here you go:

http://oemplus.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=75_23_29&products_id=897

Offline golfgti5

• GTI forum regular
GTI Mk7 DSG Candy White, 19" Santiagos, Discover Media, xenon, Executive Package, ACC, PDC, Park Assist, Alarm+......

Offline Mk6Maniac

• Not said much yet
Cool, wonder how easy they are to install and more importantly, remove if needed!

Offline golfgti5

• GTI forum regular
It's just plug&play............easy
GTI Mk7 DSG Candy White, 19" Santiagos, Discover Media, xenon, Executive Package, ACC, PDC, Park Assist, Alarm+......