Author Topic: lowering car on 18's  (Read 1246 times)

Offline JDM82

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 461
lowering car on 18's
« on: 18 August 2009, 20:44 »
What in your opion is the right amount to lower a golf that is sitting on 18's? I need my golf lowering because since having the 18's fitted it handles like a shed and ive got steering wheel shake over 60 mph but I dont want the car too low I still need it to be practical for speed bumps etc.I brought a mk 3 that was already lowered and it was a nitemare I had to pre plan routes and even pull up and walk the last mile or so not good not good at all.
GOLF GTi - The legendary hot hatch

Offline Steve_PD

  • Serious forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 7,119
  • Cruising around in a Land Cruiser
Re: lowering car on 18's
« Reply #1 on: 18 August 2009, 20:48 »
steering wheel wobble is caused by your wheels not being balanced properly  :wink:
mine is around 50mm and have no problems with speed bumps, well apart from one on the weekend where the sill scrapped  :lipsrsealed:
I often wonder why people never expect sarcastic comments from me - they're the only reason I speak...

Offline topher

  • Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
  • *****
  • Posts: 9,557
  • fully functioning
Re: lowering car on 18's
« Reply #2 on: 18 August 2009, 20:49 »
40mm is about right. Can't see the wheels causing steering wheel shake though unless they're badly out of balance, or the bolts not torqued up properly. You may have other issues there.. steering rack/tracking/hub etc etc.

Offline Steve_PD

  • Serious forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 7,119
  • Cruising around in a Land Cruiser
Re: lowering car on 18's
« Reply #3 on: 18 August 2009, 20:51 »
mine used to wobble when I had standard bolts with a 5mm spacer, bought some bigger bolts wobble gone  :smiley:
I often wonder why people never expect sarcastic comments from me - they're the only reason I speak...

Offline Wayne

  • Sir Postalot
  • *
  • Posts: 32,051
Re: lowering car on 18's
« Reply #4 on: 19 August 2009, 09:43 »
Missing spiggot ring or out of balance.

Offline linz

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,412
  • vee-dub
Re: lowering car on 18's
« Reply #5 on: 19 August 2009, 12:14 »
depends i have 19's with a 50-60mm drop