Author Topic: Which Oil?  (Read 4646 times)

Offline Dalo Harkin

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,070
Which Oil?
« on: 18 August 2009, 12:40 »
I have searched and read by the way  :undecided:

I have a W reg Mk IV GTI Turbo and need to know the oil as im servicing it at the end of the week!
ARZ K03s, Oettinger Side Skirts, R32 front, Carbon stage 2, Forge 007p (yellow spring), Forge Actuator (yellow spring), Pipercross panel filter with DSG parts, N249 and N112 deleted, SAI deleted, Carbon canister deleted, Rear wiper deleted, Long Life turbo back custom exhaust with 200 cell sports cat, VR6/G60 clutch kit, Creation Motorsport TIP, Catch can, 'Wellycooler', K04 charge pipe, S3 ported inlet manifold - looks pretty standard on the outside though :)

Offline mac456

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 578
Re: Which Oil?
« Reply #1 on: 18 August 2009, 13:30 »
people seem to use different oil -

my vw garage used 10w 40 on mine but some poeple use 5w 30  :undecided:

Offline Wurzel

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 453
Re: Which Oil?
« Reply #2 on: 18 August 2009, 13:32 »
Most dealers seem to use 10w/40
1999 mk4 1.8 n/a AGN Silver Grey
***Looking for one 16 inch wheel, Montreal 2*** and a rear parcel shelf (without speaker holes!)

Offline Rhyso

  • Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
  • *****
  • Posts: 26,687
Re: Which Oil?
« Reply #3 on: 18 August 2009, 13:40 »

Offline Mr_Orange

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,220
  • MK4 GTi Turbo Exclusive 150 AUM
Re: Which Oil?
« Reply #4 on: 18 August 2009, 17:14 »
My 1.8T is on long-life.... I've searched around and there seems so much conflicting advice regarding suitable oils at what mileage and all that :undecided:

VW gave me two choices: Their Quantum stuff for like £40 and their "special" one for like £65 for big 5L.

Garage I've got doing the work has said they use a "Carlube" product or I have the option of something pricier (might have been a Shell type), or indeed I supply something myself. 

Where should I get it from and what product?


Build thread clicky

Offline Dalo Harkin

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,070
Re: Which Oil?
« Reply #5 on: 18 August 2009, 17:34 »
Its never easy is it.............. :tongue:
ARZ K03s, Oettinger Side Skirts, R32 front, Carbon stage 2, Forge 007p (yellow spring), Forge Actuator (yellow spring), Pipercross panel filter with DSG parts, N249 and N112 deleted, SAI deleted, Carbon canister deleted, Rear wiper deleted, Long Life turbo back custom exhaust with 200 cell sports cat, VR6/G60 clutch kit, Creation Motorsport TIP, Catch can, 'Wellycooler', K04 charge pipe, S3 ported inlet manifold - looks pretty standard on the outside though :)

Offline Mr_Orange

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,220
  • MK4 GTi Turbo Exclusive 150 AUM
Re: Which Oil?
« Reply #6 on: 18 August 2009, 20:04 »
I priced up the Castrol Edge stuff (yikes!).

Right decision made!  I'm going with the standard VW Quantum stuff.  I'll pick up a genuine oil filter while I'm there!   :wink:  I can then easily get the right top-up etc too.

Been told Yr 2000 is a cross-over year (for engine codes etc), the earlier engines want 0W30, later engines want 5W30 on long-life servicing.  Apparently.


Build thread clicky

Offline AudiA8Quattro

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 4,777
Re: Which Oil?
« Reply #7 on: 18 August 2009, 21:31 »
Surely the oil used is dependant on the mileage?
FOR DIY GUIDES GO TO <br>www.volkswagenaudi.co.uk<br/>BRAKES, SUSPENSION, CV JOINTS

Offline richw911

  • 10k hero
  • *
  • Posts: 18,673
  • The Linkmeister and an OEM Freak.
Re: Which Oil?
« Reply #8 on: 18 August 2009, 22:27 »
Surely the oil used is dependant on the mileage?

I would agree  :smiley:

MKIV Mod Squad™ a part of the headlight police.

Offline GOLF_STU

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,515
  • THE_GIT
Re: Which Oil?
« Reply #9 on: 18 August 2009, 23:03 »
please do not use 10/40w use 5/30w or your asking for trouble in the long run (personal experience  :sad:)

fear is temporary, regret lasts forever...
V TEC KICKED IN Y'ALL!!!