Author Topic: Weak battery?  (Read 1851 times)

Offline Mr.Tom

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 169
Weak battery?
« on: 18 August 2009, 07:41 »
I've just upgraded from an Esc Escort to a GTi Mk3 2.0. When I start the engine with the radio on, it will turn the radio of for a second. I didn't get this with the Escort, so know it is not the radio doing it. Do I need a higher rated battery, or is it a "feature" of the car that the power is cut to everything but the starter?
Pretty sure the lights dim a little as well on starting.
Head unit is a JVC av-x2 if that helps.

If I do need an upgrade, what is the best battery for the money (of which I have little currently :/ )

Cheers.

gtigolfthree

  • Guest
Re: Weak battery?
« Reply #1 on: 18 August 2009, 09:26 »
Hi, welcome to the site, I wouldnt worry about the battery as long as the car is starting. It is perfectly normal for the radio to fade and the lights to dim while starting as the starter motor uses so much electricity.

Offline rubjonny

  • 10k hero
  • *
  • Posts: 16,349
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
Re: Weak battery?
« Reply #2 on: 18 August 2009, 09:54 »
strictly speaking it shouldnt do it as the radio live and key in ignition live should both still be on while the engine is cranking.  But as above its probably just that the starter drains a bit too much current for the switch to maintain enough power at the accessory live to keep the stereo on.
I found on my MK2 that it would sometimes do this, but not all the time!  Bit random.
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

gtigolfthree

  • Guest
Re: Weak battery?
« Reply #3 on: 18 August 2009, 10:10 »
Yes the battery voltage drops to around 9v when starting, some radios can handle that and some cant.

Offline Adam

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 5,194
Re: Weak battery?
« Reply #4 on: 18 August 2009, 13:40 »
Mine does that, so does Shadys....both MK3s so wouldn't worry about it.

Down Hill From Here.

Offline th3_f15t

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,060
Re: Weak battery?
« Reply #5 on: 18 August 2009, 13:47 »
Again, I have a Mk 2 with a Sony Xplode head unit and that turns off when I start the engine up.

Moving over to Flickr, sorry for the broken picture links!

Offline Mr.Tom

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 169
Re: Weak battery?
« Reply #6 on: 18 August 2009, 19:06 »
Yeah, there was a Sony Xplod in there when I got it. That also did it.
Ah well, I guess I shall have to live with it then. Cheers.

Offline Wayne

  • Sir Postalot
  • *
  • Posts: 32,051
Re: Weak battery?
« Reply #7 on: 19 August 2009, 08:56 »
That is about normal, as starting a car takes a lot out of a battery.

Offline Mr.Tom

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 169
Re: Weak battery?
« Reply #8 on: 23 August 2009, 08:44 »
I kept the battery from the Escort. Will see if it is compatible. :)