Author Topic: Xenons or standard lights?  (Read 14548 times)

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
Xenons or standard lights?
« on: 16 August 2009, 16:39 »
Xenons worth £1025 your views please?

All i need to do now before my car is locked is workout if Xenons are worth it lol.

As i keep worrying about the long term reliability of them since they swivel (will own this car prob ~10years!).

The standard lights DRL standout more than the xenons little triangle DRLs and with drivers round here that could be a good thing lol.

At £1025 im beggining to think are they really worth it for how i use the car and i wondering how good or bad the standard lights are?

Youtube vidio of xenons
http://www.youtube.com/user/tuttlinger88#play/favorites/1/pcjfZeJeFJw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0418EkryrY

Your views please.
Thank you
Geoff.
« Last Edit: 16 August 2009, 17:23 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline hutch924

• GTI forum regular
Re: Xenons or standard lights?
« Reply #1 on: 16 August 2009, 16:42 »
i dont think it is worth 1025quid to have xenons
Sad that i have not got my Astra VXR Nurburgring anymore but well happy with my Mk6 GTi, much better car

Offline keelaw

• I live here
  • It's here!
« Reply #2 on: 16 August 2009, 17:10 »

with a discount, should be 900 odd quid, still pricy, but the enhanced looks, non-yellow DRLs and clarity at night make it worth it for me (just).

its a fine call though.  don't forget that new bulbs will cost loads as well if you're keeping it long.  that said, if you're keeping the car long, whats £1k over 10 years?

Mk6 Golf GTI 5dr, DBP, Monza Shadow, Xenons, ACC, RCD510, Park Assist, Camera, Lux pack.... and now bluetooth.... and now DSG!

Offline ub7rm

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 16 August 2009, 18:21 »
I would say if you do a lot of driving out in the countryside (at night  :wink:) its worth it.  If you are based in a town then they are just for show more than functionality.
2020 BMW 128ti
2017 Golf GTD Estate

Offline howlingmoon

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 16 August 2009, 18:33 »
IMO if you can afford them, xenons are nice to have. But if you feel you want to spend your money elsewhere, then do so as the standard lamps are well adequate to cope in any case, unless you are partially blind when driving at night, haw haw haw.

HM
GTI Mk6 United Grey, 18" Monza Shadows, RNS310, Executive Package, ACC

Offline VWKev

• I live here
  • Please Support Non-Human Rights
« Reply #5 on: 16 August 2009, 18:47 »
I suppose its simply a matter of, if you want them they are worth it. If you ask someone else thats not too fussed they will probably stall at the price. I know the past 2 dealers I talked to said they couldnt believe the price of them.

GTI mk6, 3dr Manual (Yes Manual! If I wanted a Taxi I'd hail one, not spend £1500 on one), Candy White, Full Leather, Xenons, ACC, 18", RCD510 + Dynaudio, DAB Radio, Winter Pack, Luxury Pack, Fiscon Bluetooth Plus, Golf R LED's.

"Some say he drives a Shopping car, and that his car dent was actually a beauty spot....all we know is he's called Captain Failboat"

Offline matchboy

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 16 August 2009, 19:10 »
xenons - yes.  at any price.
Audi RS5 2018
Gone: BMW M4 LCI Competition Package
Previous: Mk 3 Audi TTS, Porsche 981 Cayman S, Mk 7 Golf R, Mk 7 GTI, Mk 6 GTI, Mk 5 GTI and so on....

Offline R32UK

• Forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 16 August 2009, 19:29 »
If they werent std on my car I probably wouldnt have bothered... it just depends if you have an extra £1k burning a hole in your pocket :smug:

Offline keelaw

• I live here
  • It's here!
« Reply #8 on: 16 August 2009, 21:33 »

let's face it, if we were that worried about cost, we'd be buying MkV GTIs!

:laugh:
Mk6 Golf GTI 5dr, DBP, Monza Shadow, Xenons, ACC, RCD510, Park Assist, Camera, Lux pack.... and now bluetooth.... and now DSG!

Offline howlingmoon

• Here all the time
« Reply #9 on: 16 August 2009, 21:36 »

let's face it, if we were that worried about cost, we'd be buying MkV GTIs!

:laugh:

I agree with you but dont forget sometimes we need to convince the better half about why we are paying a thousand quid to get something that does 'slightly' (word actually used by better half) better than the standard headlights. And ah other than it being looking good... I had ah nothing to really justify the cost. heh heh heh...
GTI Mk6 United Grey, 18" Monza Shadows, RNS310, Executive Package, ACC